GAA Sidelines: McGrath Cup wins for Cork & Limerick

Conor Lehane hit a decisive score for Cork against Waterford Picture by Séamus Loughran
Padraig O Meiscill

McGrath Cup

Group A

Limerick 0-14 Clare 2-6

DIVISION FOUR Limerick were two-point winners over Division Two Clare at Mick Neville Park in Rathkeale.

The sides were level at the break, 0-6 to 1-3, with Keelan Sexton converting a penalty for Clare. Sexton added another for the Banner in the second-half, but 10 wides proved costly for Colm Collins' side.

Limerick scored four of the last five points, Jamie Lee taking his tally to 0-6, while goalkeeper Donal O'Sullivan pulled off two excellent late saves to seal the points for the Treaty.

Group B

Cork 6-19 Kerry 2-9

WITH the Kerry senior panel on holiday in Thailand, U20 boss John Sugrue fielded an inexperienced group against Cork and duly received a hammering in Tralee.

The Kingdom youngsters kept it relatively competitive until about half-way through the first period but their inexperience was laid bare as the game wore on.

Cork were 0-8 to 0-4 ahead when Cathal O'Mahony scored the first of their six goals and they went into the break with a 1-15 to 0-5 lead.

Cork's second goal arrived through Damien Gore in the 52nd minute and the Kilmacabea man had his hat trick within seven minutes, goaling first from O'Mahony's teasing pass and then beating Brian Lonergan from the penalty spot.

Shane Forde's goal helped make it 5-18 to 0-7 by the 64th minute before Kerry managed consolation goals from Paul Walsh and Seán Quilter.

The Kingdom's best player on the day, full-forward Donal O'Sullivan, limped off with a hamstring problem late on before substitute Seán Powter added Cork's sixth goal.

Munster Senior Hurling League

Waterford 1-13 Cork 1-17

CORK made it through to the Munster SHL final thanks to a four-point victory over Liam Cahill's Waterford side in Dungarvan.

The result marks a second win in as many games for the Rebels, with Kieran Kingston enjoying a winning return to the county hot-seat two weeks ago when his side thrashed Kerry in Mallow.

The victors found things a bit tougher in Waterford and had to graft for their 1-10 to 1-5 half-time lead.

It was blood sub Tommy O'Donnell who netted the victors' goal on the 26-minute mark, taking advantage of some poor defending from the hosts and cancelling out Patrick Curran's strike at the other end.

Curran pulled the Déise back into contention in the third-quarter as they reduced their deficit to one, but they didn't manager to hit the front.

Instead it was Cork that secured the final berth as Conor Lehane and Sarsfield's Jack O'Connor put over decisive scores.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 to get full access