On This Day in the Irish News 1999: Eamon McEneaney quits Monaghan post
McEneaney quits Monaghan post
EAMON McEneaney has resigned as Monaghan senior football team manager after Sunday's defeat at the hands of Fermanagh.
McEneaney had been rumoured to be considering his position after Sunday and he tendered his resignation at a County Board meeting in Ballybay last night.
However, in his statement to the clubs he stressed that his resignation was not solely prompted by the Fermanagh defeat as he had intimated earlier in the year to players and officials that he would be stepping down come Monaghan's exit from the 1999 championship.
That defeat to Fermanagh means that Monaghan have now failed to win a Championship match for four years.
In a statement released last night, the Monaghan County Board expressed its thanks and appreciation to McEneaney, his co-selector PJ McKenna and the rest of his backroom staff.
County chairman Liam Sterritt, in paying tribute to McEneaney, spoke of his great service over the last 22 years both as a player and later in team management, and announced that he hoped to have names of his potential successor before the clubs at the August meeting of the county committee.
McEneaney first moved into senior county management three years ago as joint team manager with Sean McCague, who is now president-elect of the GAA.
He has been in sole charge of the team for the past two seasons.
In his first full season in charge he took Monaghan to the semi-finals of the National League, where they lost out to Derry. The side also earned promotion to Division One the same year.
A minor in 1978, he was a sub during Monaghan's Ulster SFC win of 1979. A former Allstar replacement, McEneaney won Ulster senior medals in 1985 and 1988 and a National League medal in 1985.
McCullough: I'll be ready to face Erik
WAYNE McCullough says he'll be ready to rumble with Mexican hit-man Erik Morales for Morales' WBC world bantamweight title on July 31, if US promoter Bob Arum confirms a championship deal on return to Las Vegas tomorrow.
After three weeks easing himself back into training while on vacation in Belfast, following the back muscle injury which forced him to withdraw from their original clash scheduled for Las Vegas, McCullough is now waiting on word on a refixed title bid later this summer.
Information from America, and according to McCullough, is that July 31 in Tijuana, Mexico will be Morales' next fight date. It's unclear whether it will be against the former world bantamweight champion, though a $375,000 contract has been agreed.
“I expect to go into full-time training as soon as I return to Las Vegas, and if Top Rank and Bob Arum do confirm the 31st of July with me, that gives me more than enough time to get ready. I've been cycling and shadow boxing in recent weeks since arriving in Belfast, and playing plenty of golf. The back is fine and can't wait to get back in the ring. Hopefully everything will be finalised shortly.”
Ireland's medal haul
IRELAND came away with a gold and silver haul from the Liverpool multi-nations tournament at the weekend, with Crumlin star John Kinsella scooping top honours in the super heavyweight division.
Dublin's big-hitter finished his final bout 12 points ahead (20-8) of Scotland's Ian Millarie. “The Scot had beaten a good Canadian in the semis but he couldn't match John's punching power,” said Irish official Don Stewart.
Dundalk lightweight Eugene McEneaney lost out on gold by a single point, losing 6-5 to England's Steven Burke in the 63.5 kilos showdown. “The result could have went either way and nobody could have complained, it was that close,” said Stewart.
“Eugene was always that one point behind and couldn't overhaul it. Still a gold and silver from a four-man team was a tremendous performance by the Irish lads.”