Back in the day - Injury scare for Antrim ace Alastair Elliott - The Irish News, May 15 1999

?DATE WITH THE SPECIALIST...Antrim hurling star Alastair Elliott could be a doubt for the Championship after chipping a bone in his knee in midweek 
The Irish News Archive

ANTRIM’S inspirational hurling marksman Alastair Elliott is expected to attend a specialist within the next 10 days after picking up a knee injury midweek playing football for Dunloy.

An initial X-ray examination at Antrim Area Hospital revealed no cracks or fractures, but did determine a piece of bone had been chipped. Elliott was injured while playing a league match for his club against Moneyglass on Wednesday night.

He has been instructed to remain on crutches until next weekend, after which a specialist will exam the knee damage for a more indepth diagnosis. It is a shock setback for the saffron star, though it is thought unlikely that his participation in next month’s Ulster Senior Championship will be jeopardised.

Antrim team manager Seamus Elliott said the type of injury was very worrying so close to the opening round of the knockout series. He is remaining optimistic, however.

He reckons the prospects of his leading scorer being fit again in time for their June 19 semi-final against London are quite good.


DERRY have named a powerful line-up for tomorrow’s crucial NHL division two clash with third-placed Roscommon at Celtic Park.

A match they must win, the final round game could gain Derry a place in a promotion play-off with either Down or Kerry for qualification to Division One next season.

Derry are level on points with Wicklow, who are expected to win at struggling Tyrone in Omagh. Oliver Collins and Geoffrey McGonigle spearhead the Derry attack, with Conor Murray and Paddy McEldowney at midfield.

Declan Cassidy captains the team at centre half-back.

Derry: K Stevenson; E McKeever, D McCloskey, D Kearney; B Ward, D Cassidy (capt), N Mullan; C Murray, P McEldowney; O Collins, G Biggs, D Kelly; M Collins, G McGonigle, D Doherty

Subs: J Donaghy, M Conway, S McCartney, E Farren, C McGurk, R McCloskey, H Mullan, U McCloskey, AN Other


MOORTOWN survived a furious late revival by 14- man Dungannon at Edendork last night to go through to the second round of the Tyrone Senior Championship on a 2-8 to 1-8 scoreline.

Trailing by 10 points, the Clarkes produced a spirited final 10 minutes, pulling back a goal through a Gerard Cavlan penalty and missing three further golden goal opportunities.

But Moortown had already inflicted the damage, chiefly through the accuracy of Stephen Lawn, who finished with 1-6.

Dungannon were down to 14 men as early as the third minute when attacker Mark Rodgers was sent off following an off-the-ball incident. Nevertheless, it took Moortown all of 13 minutes to open the scoring, but Conrad Quinn’s opening point was the signal for a salvo of six unanswered scores.

Stephen Lawn hit three, and when Kevin Quinn drove home a 17th minute goal, the Loughshore side was in complete control.

Moortown: M Conway, S Teague, C Lawn, Michael Crozier, Martin Crozier, P Devlin, B Quinn, M Quinn, M McQuillan, K Quinn (1-0), D McNally, M McIvor, C Quinn (0-2), S Lawn (1-6), S McNally.

Dungannon: C Rafferty, D Trainor, P Coulter (0-1), G McGrath, O Donnelly, G McConville, B Mallon, C McRory (0-1), S Loughran, J Doran, G Cavlan (1-3), M Rodgers, E Devlin (0-3), A Kilpatrick, G Walls.

Referee: M Kolbohm (Rock)

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: