Sport

Back in the day - Joey Dunlop has no plans to retire - The Irish News, Mar 9 1999

PACEMAKER BELFAST 7/6/2000: FILE PIC SEE MAEVE'S PAGE 3 RECORD BREAKERS Number one! Joey Dunlop on the podium after winning 125cc TT at the Isle of Man races. This was Joey's third win of the week.rPICTURE BY STEPHEN DAVISON

AT the ripe old age of 46 one might think Joey Dunlop would be considering putting on the slippers, pipe in one hand, a good soft chair and resting for a time. But this is not the life

for the Ballymoney publican, at least not for the foreseeable future.

For Dunlop has put together one of the most demanding schedules imaginable for the coming road racing season which is only four weeks away. But for the TT win last season Dunlop

looked to be at his lowest ebb of his career.

After his big crash at the Tandragee 100 when he lost part of his finger it was rumoured that he would retire but, as ever, the resourceful Dunlop has again rose from the ashes to stun

everyone with his plans for ‘99.

At a recent press launch, held before he jetted off to the Dominican Republic to his daughter’s wedding, Dunlop said: “I would like to have a serious crack at the Regal 600 Championship and I have acquired a 600 Honda from England which I hope will be competitive. I have had success on the 600s before but have never done a full Regal series.

“It will not be easy with the likes of Richard Britton, James Courtney and Adrian Archibald all up there and with the news that Jason Griffiths is going to do the Irish Races makes it even more difficult.”

*************************************

CAVAN’S senior football skipper Dermot McCabe has been ruled out of NFL action for possibly the next six weeks after a freak injury during Sunday’s Dr McKenna Cup game against Armagh.

It is a further addition to the problems facing their new management team of Val Andrews and Pat Flanagan. Cavan have yet to win since they were appointed following the player revolt

which led to Liam Austin and his entire backroom staff resigning in January. McCabe’s injury is considered severe, with suspected damage to ankle tendons and ligaments.

No other player was involved, McCabe apparently going over on the ankle during a run as Cavan slipped out of the McKenna Cup to Armagh at Crossmaglen.

McCabe’s loss adds to Cavan’s poor start to the year, with successive NFL Division Two defeats against Longford and Carlow scuttling any prospect for promotion or a place in the quarter-finals.

In both games they were caught late on, running out of steam and ideas to allow Longford and Carlow to take full points. Andrews and Flanagan are expected to be in a position to welcome back Ciaran Brady to the defence for this weekend’s home tie with Tipperary.

********************************************

WEST Belfast primary school Vere Foster are on a high this morning after 11-year-old Jonathan Rooney became the first player from the school to be selected to play for Northern Ireland at schoolboy level.

Goalkeeper, Jonathan will play for Belfast Schoolboys when they travel to play in London later this week. Then, on his return he will travel with his team-mates to represent Northern Ireland at a tournament in Dublin.

The young keeper’s rise to this level has been exceptional given that his school only began competing in soccer and Gaelic back in October. James Moyna, Jonathan’s teacher at the west Belfast school said:“We only began to play back in October. Since then we have won the Cumann na mBunscoil Gaelic League and we recently won the the one day Gaelic blitz.”

The school has been equally successful in soccer having finished runner-up in the CocaCola Cup.

Mr Moyna describes Jonathan, who also plays for Newhill as a model pupil.

“He has a great attitude towards sport and team work. He is the captain of our gaelic and soccer team and he has great leadership qualities.”

 

 

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Sport

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: