Ole Gunnar Solskjaer notches fourth successive win as Manchester United boss

Manchester United interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer applauds the away support after victory over Newcastle
By Press Association Sport staff

OLE Gunnar Solsjkaer maintained his 100 per cent record as Manchester United manager after two late goals helped his side to a 2-0 win over Newcastle at St James' Park.

Substitute Romelu Lukaku broke the deadlock after 65 minutes with his first touch of the game, reacting superbly after Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka had fumbled Marcus Rashford's free-kick.

Lukaku was also involved in the second goal 10 minutes from time as Ratchford produced a clinical finish to seal a fourth straight win under Solsjkaer.

Chelsea missed the chance to strengthen their grip on fourth place after being held to a 0-0 draw at home by relegation-threatened Southampton.

Saints' hero was 22-year-old goalkeeper Angus Gunn who thwarted the home side with a series of fine saves on his first Premier League start.

The point was not enough to prevent Southampton from dropping into the bottom three after Burnley came from behind to win 2-1 at bottom club Huddersfield, who were condemned to a club-record eighth straight defeat.

Steve Mounie put Town in front in the 33rd minute, heading home Isaac Mbenza's cross for his first goal since April, but Chris Wood swept the ball home from close range to level and the home side were crucially reduced to 10 men when Christopher Schindler was shown a second yellow card.

Burnley eventually took advantage of the extra man, with Ashley Barnes striking the winner after 71 minutes, and they were able to hang on for a second win in four days after Robbie Brady was sent off on the stroke of normal time.

The start of Bournemouth's home game against Watford was delayed by 15 minutes after a fire alarm went off in one of the stands at the Vitality Stadium but the players made up for it with a first-half goal feast.

Watford striker Troy Deeney opened the scoring with a header - his 116th goal for the club - and doubled their lead before a flurry of four goals in six minutes saw the teams turn around level at 3-3.

Nathan Ake nodded home for Bournemouth and the hosts drew level through Callum Wilson. Ken Sema restored the visitors' advantage a minute later and it was all square once more when Ryan Fraser scored Bournemouth's third in the 39th minute.

The frenetic activity subsided after the break with neither side able to add to their goal tally.

The honours were also shared at London Stadium, this time after a goalless first half between West Ham and Brighton.

Dale Stephens and Shane Duffy struck twice in quick succession early in the second half to put the visitors seemingly in control but two goals in two minutes from Marko Arnautovic enabled the Hammers to draw level and it ended 2-2

Wolves spurned the chance to go seventh after going down 2-0 to Crystal Palace at Molineux.

Jordan Ayew broke the deadlock seven minutes from time and Luka Milivojevic made sure of the points with a last-minute penalty.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 to get full access

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: