Belfast's Corrigan Park in line for major redevelopment
BELFAST’S Corrigan Park is in line for a major redevelopment after advanced plans were put to committee members of St John’s GAC last night, the Irish News understands.
The Whiterock Road venue, which has effectively served as Antrim’s county ground in recent years due to the ongoing saga over Casement Park, would see a new stand constructed and major maintenance work completed under the proposals.
Funding is now being actively sought for the proposals and, if planning permission is secured, the aim is to commence the work as early as possible in the new year.
Ground was first broke on Corrigan Park in 1926 and, up until the opening of Casement in 1953, it served as Antrim’s preeminent venue, hosting games as prominent as the 1943 All-Ireland Senior Hurling quarter-final between the Saffrons and Galway.
In recent years, it has become clear the ground is in need of major work, with the previous stand being demolished a number of years ago. Spectators at major games in the absence of Casement have been confined to the grass bank surrounding the pitch.
With the deadlock over the redevelopment of Casement Park seemingly no closer to being a broken, a revamped Corrigan would be a shot in the arm for Antrim Gaels, who have had to endure the ignominy of having no fit-for-purpose county ground in recent years.
However, even if work on Casement was to commence tomorrow, it is understood the refurbishment of Corrigan Park, long-time home to St John’s GAC, would still go ahead.