The Irish News Archive: Sep 7 1998: Castleblayney bag Monaghan senior crown

AERIAL BATTLE...Peter Duffy wins this high ball for Castleblayney in their Monaghan Senior football final win over Clontibret.
The Irish News Archive

Monaghan SFC final: Castleblayney 0-14 Clontibret 1-7

CLONTIBRET forfeited their ACC Bank Senior Football Championship title to a fitter, hungrier Castleblayney outfit in this entertaining and competitive climax to the 1998 series in Clones yesterday. In a game that was dominated largely by the difficult conditions of rain and a gale force wind, Castleblayney laid the foundations for victory with a very strong first half performance.

After a few nervous moments at the start they settled down to business and led by three points to no score at the end of the first quarter but they had also squandered a number of good chances.

In the second quarter they really got on top of the opposition and with increasingly one-way traffic they hit seven points without reply, Paul O’Connor (2), Paraic McDonnell (2), Tom Millar, Mark O’Connor and Aidan Tavey (one each), to open a nine-point gap entering injury time.

In injury time Mick O’Dowd, one of the few success stories in the Clontibret attack, pulled back a point to leave the half-time score Castleblayney 0-10 Clontibret 0-2.

Declan Brennan reduced the arrears with a point four minutes into the second half and Clontibret, now playing with the gale force wind, began to exert periods of pressure on the Castleblayney defence.

A point by Gregory Leonard in the seventh minute was followed by a goal from Gerry Mone in the only attack where they actually penetrated the Castleblayney rearguard and brought Clontibret to within four points.

In the final quarter Clontibret did exert further pressure but Castleblayney defended in numbers and broke quickly for a couple of points that kept the game out of Clontibret’s reach.

Castleblayney: J Sullivan, E Brennan, E Murphy, D Hughes, S McGeough, A Tavey (0-4), D McArdle, T Millar (0-1), D Duffy (0-1), P O’Connor (0-2), D Loughman, R McArdle (0-1), P McDonald (0-3), M O’Connor (0-1), P Duffy (0-1).

Clontibret: M Thompson, S McSkeane, P McGuigan, D Moen, N Magennis, J P Mone, B McSkeane, S Woods, D McKenna, N Malone (0-1), D Brennan (0-2), G Mone (1-1), M O’Dowd (0-2), M Hughes, G Leonard (0-1).

Subs: F Mone for M Hughes, S Magennis for B McSkeane.

Referee: J Mullan (Scotstown).

Cavan SFC final: Mullahoran 2-5 Cavan Gaels 0-4

MULLAHORAN captured the Cavan Senior Football Championship title for the first time in 35 years and they produced an outstanding performance to defeat Cavan Gaels at Breffni Park yesterday.

Mullahoran, the club of former tanaiste and minister John Wilson and the famous Gunner Brady, deservedly took the honours for the first time since 1963 with some fine football helped by a number of marvellous individual performances.

A strong wind and some heavy showers may have spoiled the game as a spectacle but for Mullahoran it was an opportunity to reclaim the glory years of the 40s and 50s.

In the surprisingly low-scoring first half Mullahoran led by 1-1 to 0-0, the goal coming after eight minutes form David Fagan.

Mullahoran should have had the title wrapped up by the interval but a statistic of 14 wides only delayed the inevitable for a little longer. Cavan Gaels didn’t register their first score until three minutes into the second half from John Haverty and backed by the strong wind had a opportunity of making a game of it.

However, the lack of firepower in attack and a weak midfield exposed their limitations and it was only the inaccuracy of the Mullahoran attack which kept the opponents within striking distance.

Mullahoran eventually reflected their dominance on the scoreboard with a well worked second goal from Danny Brady two minutes from the end.

This was a great win for Mullahoran who notched up their 10th senior title.

Mullahoran: E Brady, G Brady, P Brady, P Galligan, S Smith, C Brady (0-1), DM Reilly, S Brady, S Gannon, E Reilly, D Fagan (1-1), C Brennan, D Brady (1-2) D Gannon (0-1) M Fagan.

Subs: D O’Reilly for S Gannon, M Reilly for C Brennan

Cavan Gaels: N O’Riordan, P Byrne, D Rabbitt, P Graham, N Lynch, N Carolan, B Crowe, J Graham, C Collins, J Haverty, J Dononan, P O’Donnell (0-1), M Graham, M Lenny, D Noonan (0-1).

Subs: P Kiernan (0-1) for P Graham

Ref: N McEnroe

Donegal SFC semi-final Aodh Ruadh (Ballyshannon) 1-12 Ardara 3-4

BALLYSHANNON are still county champions – but this limp display gave their supporters some anxious moments against a lively and unlucky Ardara side in the first Donegal semi-final at Donegal town, yesterday.

For the unfancied Gaeltacht champions, Ardara, almost pulled off a shock victory over a side which has been consistently enigmatic.

Ardara hit three goals and should have scored three more at the Ballyshannon defence was often as open as Bundoran in the summer season.

The losers also hit 14 wides to Ballyshannon’s seven in a tie played in dreadful conditions.


Aodh Ruadh: J Duffy (0-4), B Ward (1-1), V Murray (0-3), D Conlan (0-2), N McCready (0-1), M McGlynn (0-1),

Ardara: P McHugh (2-0) E Doherty (1-0), J Boyle (0-3) M Benn

Donegal SFC quarter-final replay St Eunan’s 3-8 Killybegs 0-12 aet

Marathon tussle ends with victory for St Eunan’s

ALL good marathons must end and this one finished in truly explosive fashion as St Eunan’s clinched their semi-final slot against Glencolmcille – after 240 minutes of football and a mini riot at McCumhaill Park. For, as darkness fell in the third meeting between these sides young Barry Tinney blasted home an inspired goal for St Eunan’s in the 19th minute of extra time to put them ahead by 2-8 to 0- 12.

Tinney’s powerful strike sparked an unseemly free-for-all involving several players and some mentors on both sides.

The referee took no action and it remains to be seen if the Donegal county board will take a harsher view of this nasty end to an epic series.

Tinney’s goal was followed by a similar strike from Denis Daly two minutes later and Killybegs were unable to summon the heart to turn matters around.


St Eunan’s: D Daly (2-0), B Tinney (1-1), B Kilcoyne (0-3), M Crossan (0-2), K Winston (0-2).

Killybegs: M Boyle (0-7), M Boyle (0-2), B Cunningham (0- 1), C Gallagher (0-1), C White (0-1). Referee: A Wallace (Burt)

Tennents Antrim SFC semi-final: St Johns 0-13 Lamh Dhearg 0-9

Johnnies on course to end famine

TWENTY-three times Antrim senior football champions, St John’s are once again on the march.

With their last title coming 10 years ago this fit and fast Corrigan Park outfit defied the wind and rain, and a strong second half Lamh Dhearg challenge, at Casement Park, to set up a final tilt against either Cargin or Dunloy.

Using the strong wind to optimum advantage they cruised to a 10 point interval lead and, in the process, gave the opposition little chance of scores.

Half backs Garoid Adams, John Kelly and Darren Swail dominated throughout and, even when facing the brunt of the Hannahstown attack in the second half, stood firm.

Paddy Curran, injured before he kicked a ball in the quarter-final, made his presence felt early on this time round and points in the first and second minutes sent St John’s on their way. Their charge continued unabated with midfielder Gary Heaney, Enda McAtamney, Jimmy Wilson and Curran again adding points before the Lamh Dhearg side made a mark.

St John’s: B McNulty, L McCurdy, M Bohill, A McGowan, G Adams, J Kelly, D Swail, J Murphy, G Heaney (0-2), P Curran (0-3), E McAtamney (0-4), D Kennedy, E McKenna (0-1), B Mackin (0-1), J Wilson (0-2).

Sub: K Anderson for Kennedy (45 mins).

Lamh Dhearg: J McNeill, P McCabe, B Molloy, P Tumelty, P McGuigan (0-1), T McCrudden, S McFadden, B Elliott, F Fitzsimons (0-1), K McCluskey, C McCabe (0-2), F Wilson (0-1), P McCambridge (0-2), E McGarry (0-1), M Boyle (0-1).

Sub: K Murray for McCabe (20 mins).

Ref: J O’Donnell (Glenravel)

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: