The Irish News Archive - Aug 24 1998: Rampant Tyrone reach All-Ireland minor final

MINOR TRIUMPH...Tyrone’s Gavin Wylie beats Leitrim’s Barry McKiernan to the ball during the Red Hand county’s victory in yesterday’s All-Ireland minor football semi-final
The Irish News Archive

All-Ireland Minor football championship semi-final Tyrone 1-14 Leitrim 1-3

TYRONE minors reached their second successive All-Ireland final yesterday after a comfortable 11-point victory over Leitrim in an entertaining curtain-raiser at Croke Park.

The considerable achievement was carved out despite notching up 20 wides over the hour, a factor which joint-manager Fr Gerard McAleer admitted was something they will need to improve on for the final on September 27.

Fr McAleer said the minor squad had trained in Omagh for the past four or five months, and been deeply upset by the tragedy which occurred in the town last weekend.

“I genuinely think that played a big part in the nerves exhibited out there today. If we’d been settled, no-one would have stopped us.”

Yesterday’s win was also achieved without inspirational midfielder Kevin Hughes, who suffered a recurrence of an ankle injury last Thursday night.

McAleer indicated the Tyrone camp are not yet sure if Hughes and broken collarbone victim Brian McGuigan will be fit to face either Kerry or Laois in the decider. Kevin Hughes’ replacement, namesake Martin Hughes, proved the strength of the Tyrone bench. The Clonoe youngster had a marvellous game, the highlight coming midway through the first half with a spectacular goal from the 21 yard line perfectly planted in the far corner.

Tyrone: P McConnell, G Devlin, M McGee, F Loughran, C Meenagh, D O’Hanlon, P O’Neill (0-1), C McAnallen (0-2, one free), M Hughes (1-2), G Wylie, E Mulligan (0-3), S O’Neill (0-1), A Lynch (0-2, one free), E McGinley (0-2, one free), R Mellon (0-2)

Leitrim: E Lyons, S Maguire, J McKeon, M McGuinness, P McGarry, P Casserly, B McKiernan (0-1), G McCloskey, D O’Callaghan, D Crowe, S Canning (1-0), M Duignan, M Shanley (0-1), T Kelleher (0-1), J McGuinness

Subs: J McGuinness for McKiernan (45), M Foley for Shanley (53), S Rehill for McGuinness (56) Referee: Seamus McCormack (Meath)


Down SHC: Portaferry 2-8 Ballycran 0-9

Portaferry book their place in Down decider

A goal and two points in the final three minutes assured Portaferry of a place in next week’s Guinness Down SHC Final as they defeated great rivals Ballycran in their semi-final replay at Mitchel Park Ballygalget.

In a low grade game in which there were frequent stoppages for fouls and a litany of missed chances by both sides the fare served up left a lot to be desired.

Portaferry probably deserved to win because they were the more committed side and played the more direct hurling.

Full marks to Ballycran, who were always in a catching up position throughout, for the dogged manner in which they fought hard throughout. Indeed had two goal chances not been missed they could well have caused a surprise.

The star of the game was veteran Ballycran keeper Noel Keith with two marvellous second half saves that kept his side in the game.

Portaferry: G Smyth, S Muuray , E Adair, J Trainor, M Mallon, P McMullan, B Milligan (0-1), G Adair, B Coleman (1-0), N Sands (1-3), G McGrattan (0-2), TJ Fitzsimons, P Mallon, P Mason (0-1), S McGrattan (0-1)

Subs: J McManus for P Mallon, R McGrattan for G Adair, E Trainor for S McGrattan

Ballycran: N Keith, P Lennon, C Mallon (0-2), S Wilson (0-1), G Savage, B Hughes, L Arthurs, J McCarthy, G Gordon (0-1), C Arthurs (0-1), D O’Prey (0-4) , M Blaney, S Masterson, M Braniff, F McCann

Subs: H Gilmore for F McCann, K Blaney for S Masterson

Ref: JA Gribben (Clonduff)


Donegal SFC quarter-final Killybeggs 1-10 St Eunan’s (0-13) (AET)

THEY shouldn’t keep meeting like this – but Killybegs and Eunans have yet another date probably next Saturday after a deadlocked but essentially drab championship quarter-final replay at Ballybofey last night. Once again, Brendan Devenney was St Eunan’s saviour – arcing over the equaliser in the 88th minute.

The sides were level at 1- 7 to 0-10 at the end of a scrappy 60 minutes affair. Ironically, it was Devenney who put the game into extra time through a 62nd minute point. Favourites Killybegs lost outstanding defender Barry McGowan in the first half and he was replaced by the versatile Declan Boyle as Manus Boyle and Devenney exchanged points in a dreary opening half which ended at 0-5 each.

Once again, Conor White seemed to have swung it for Killybegs when he crashed home 52nd minute goal from a Conal Gallagher pass.

The Fishermen led by 1-5 to 0-4 at that stage – but once again, St Eunan’s dug deep and the points flowed from ex-Sligo star Brendan Kilcoyne, Devenney and Mark Crossan.

A draw was a fair result but the 3,000 fans will be hoping for much better fare next weekend when Ballyshannon and Ardra clash in the first Donegal semi-final.

Killybeggs: M Boyle 0-7, C White 1-0, M Boyle 0-2, C Gallahger 0-1.

St Eunan's: B Devenney 0-7, B Kilcoyne 0-3, D Daly 0-2, K Winston 0-1 Ref: A Wallace



Irish News Sports Editor John Haughey presents Rossa captain Kris Morris with the Irish News trophy after his side took victory in Saturday’s Ulster minor hurling sevens competition  


ROSSA were crowned champions of the Irish News Ulster Minor hurling blitz at the weekend. The west-Belfast club defeated hosts and rivals St John’s in an entertaining final.

The competition proved an overwhelming success and a number of surprises, in particular the notable improvement of Tyrone hurling in the shape of Dungannon. Keady, Dunloy and Dungannon looked set to chase honours after the early exchanges in the competition’s group games.

Holders St Gall’s were hampered by the loss of several key players due to work and vacation leave and this proved to be their undoing as the stronger sides progressed to the latter stages.

In 15 minute games played at lightening pace the hurlers displayed the fine arts of the game before spectators.

Rossa reached the final following a 3-3 to 0-0 win over Dunloy while in the other semi-final, St John’s’ budding star Anthony Press helped his club defeat Armagh’s Keady 4-0 to 2-5.

Despite losing in the final, Anthony Press was selected as Player of the Tournament, an accolade judged by referees. Rossa’s Kris Morris, Kevin Grieves and Brian Close, a younger brother of former Antrim star Jim, proved to much for St John’s to handle in the final showpiece.

Their efforts ensured a 4-4 to 3-3 victory. In the Irish News Plate final,

Lavey hurlers brought glory back to Derry with following their win over Belfast’s Lamh Dhearg (2-4 to 1-4).

There was ample consolation for Lamh Dhearg however, when the Hannahstown outfit were awarded the Sportsmanship Award for fair play.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: