I want to move on from nightclub incident says 'innocent victim' Sean McComb
AFTER “a stressful few days”, Sean McComb has said he wants to move on from an incident at a Surfers’ Paradise nightclub earlier this week.
The Team NI boxing joint captain received a fixed penalty notice and was banned from two areas of the Gold Coast following the incident in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
However, on Wednesday the Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games Council (NICGC) issued a statement saying that, after speaking with McComb and viewing CCTV evidence, they believe the 25-year-old was innocent and that he retained their full support.
And yesterday McComb broke his silence on the matter.
“It’s been a stressful few days for me,” said the Holy Trinity fighter, who has hired a lawyer to contest the fine and ban issued by the police in Queensland.
“I’ve kept my integrity, I’ve stayed quiet in all of this until the truth came out and I’m happy now that the truth has come out and I’m an innocent victim.
“I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone here and back home for their support, for believing in me fully that I was innocent in this case.
“I would like to draw a line under this all, move on and start supporting the boxers fully, and the rest of the NI athletes who are here competing.”
In their earlier statement, the NICGC said CCTV images “raised concerns as to the accuracy of the initial information”.
They also said they were “disappointed that the reputation of the athlete and the NICGC is being impugned”.