Jurgen Klopp warns that Manchester City are not dead yet

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp applauds the fans with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (right) after the Uefa Champions League quarter-final win over Manchester City
By Andy Hampson, Press Association Sport

Uefa Champions League quarter-final, first leg: Liverpool 3 Manchester City 0

JURGEN Klopp insisted Liverpool still had much to do to reach the Champions League semi-finals after their stunning 3-0 victory over Manchester City at Anfield.

The Reds scored three times in the opening 31 minutes of the quarter-final first leg through Mohamed Salah, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Sadio Mane to leave the runaway Premier League leaders reeling.

City might have secured the league title by the time sides meet again next week, but Pep Guardiola's men will have a huge task to overturn the aggregate deficit.

Manager Klopp said: "I never expected a perfect performance. I expected we were a real challenge (to them). We were a real challenge.

"Being 3-0 up is better than being 3-0 down but it is not a decision. We go to Manchester City and they want to strike back.

"I don't feel we are already through. We have to work. We have to fight there and and we have to fight again and it will not be easy."

City have earned many plaudits this season but Klopp did not want to overplay the significance of beating them as he spoke in his post-match press conference.

The German said: "If I answer your questions the way you want me to, Pep only has to put the newspapers in the dressing room and say, 'Look what Klopp said'.

"We will really have to work there like hell. We are not in the next round. Why should I celebrate it?"

The sour note from an otherwise spellbinding evening at Anfield was an attack on the City bus as it arrived at the stadium.

The coach was pelted with missiles – including fireworks, bottles and cans – by Liverpool supporters who had lined the streets in their thousands to welcome their side. Windows were smashed and City needed to order another bus to take them from the stadium.

City manager Pep Guardiola said: "Yesterday you explained it is going to happen and it happened. I didn't expect that. I am new here.

"Normally when the police know that is going to happen, they try to avoid it happening.

"The bus is destroyed. I didn't expect that a club as prestigious as Liverpool would do these kind of things.

"Of course, it is not Liverpool, it is the people. It was not only one, only two, only three. Hopefully it doesn't happen again."

Guardiola insisted his side would not give up hope of reaching the semi-finals.

He said: "In this room I think there is nobody convinced we can go through. Tomorrow we are going to convince ourselves. There are 90 minutes more, we are going to try."

City failed to manage a shot on target but Guardiola did not think the overall performance was bad.

He said: "We arrived with a huge personality, except for 10-15 minutes in the first half when we lost a bit of control.

"The problem is they arrived two times, the first one offside, to score two and then here at Anfield it is always complicated."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: