Manchester United beat Watford as Spurs lose to Leicester

Tottenham's Harry Kane (centre) appeals the decision of match referee Anthony Taylor as he gives team-mate Erik Lamela (left) a yellow card during the 2-1 defeat to Leicester
Damian Spellman

ASHLEY Young turned on the style against his former club as Manchester United survived a late scare to move to within five points of Premier League leaders Manchester City with a 4-2 win at Watford.

Young spent 11 years at Vicarage Road after joining the club as a schoolboy but he left no room for sentiment as two brilliant first-half strikes paved the way for an entertaining United win.

Young lashed home a 19th minute opener with a low shot from outside the box then curled home a superb free-kick six minutes later after a foul by Abdoulaye Doucoure.

A third from Anthony Martial looked to have ended the tie as a contest but Watford gave themselves hope of a point through a Troy Deeney penalty and a second from Doucoure.

But United ultimately sealed victory with a brilliant solo goal from Jesse Lingaard four minutes from time to finally sink the Hornets' hopes.

Mauricio Pochettino's Tottenham slipped up again as brilliant first-half goals from Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez handed Leicester a 2-1 win at the King Power Stadium.

Vardy latched onto a ball over the top from Marc Albrighton to volley a superb 13th minute opener, then Mahrez curled home Leicester's second on the stroke of half-time.

Already reeling from their dropped point at home to West Brom at the weekend, Spurs reduced the deficit when Harry Kane lashed home a through-ball from the returning Erik Lamela 11 minutes from time.

And they almost snatched a point in the dying seconds when first Danny Rose had a penalty appeal turned down, then Dele Alli flashed a final shot just wide.

Newcastle hit back from two goals down to grab a 2-2 draw at West Brom and end a run of four consecutive defeats.

The home side looked set for victory through goals from Hal Robson-Kanu and Sam Field either side of half-time, but Ciaran Clark's header gave Newcastle hope on the hour mark.

And that belief paid off seven minutes from time when Matt Ritchie's ball into the box took a couple of deflections and squirted into the net off Baggies defender Jonny Evans.

Brighton keeper Matthew Ryan was the Seagulls star in an otherwise forgettable goalless draw against bottom club Crystal Palace.

Ryan pulled off a superb early save to deny Wilfred Zaha as the Eagles were once again left searching for their first away goal of the season.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: