On This Day - Nov 9 1997: Geoffrey McGonigle the maestro for Dungiven in thundering Ulster Club final win over Errigal Ciaran

GRIPPING ENCOUNTER...Dungiven veteran Brian McGilligan grabs hold of Pascal Canavan during yesterday's Ulster Club Football final at Clones

AIB Ulster Club Football Final: Errigal Ciaran (Tyrone) 1-8 Dungiven (Derry) 0-14

GEOFFREY McGonigle sledge-hammered Derry champions Dungiven into the AIB All-Ireland Championship play-offs yesterday with four thunderous points against Errigal Ciaran during a power surge over the final 16 minutes.

But their emotion-charged win came at a price as Allstar forward Joe Brolly had to undergo an X-ray for a suspected fractured ankle.

Brolly had to leave the fray after 47 minutes, having shipped numerous heavy challenges and persistent fouls.

In spite of Brolly's troubles, 24-year-old McGonigle blasted ante-post favourites Errigal Ciaran out of business.

He hit two terrific conversions and a couple of monster points from play to clinch victory. McGonigle's impact clinched a first-ever Ulster title for the club, and while he stole the show, Dungiven's victory was inspired and under-pinned by the rugged brilliance of team captain and man of the match Emmett McKeever.

He kept the dangers posed by Errigal's leading marksman Eoin Gormley under lock and key for the most part, the crucial moments in their battle being two incidents which McKeever edged in the last four minutes.

Gormley was denied a goal by a magnificent block, and another late chance when McKeever's reading of the situation and timing won out.


OLD firm, new faces, same old story.

Despite parading many of their multi-million pound close-season signings against Celtic’s big-money imports it was Walter Smith’s own old firm who were crucial to this latest 1-0 Scottish Premier League victory which lifts his side two points clear of their bitter rivals.

Andy Goram pulled out two world-class saves within seconds to thwart Henrik Larsson early in the first half.

Then Brian Laudrup set up Gough to claim the points on 29 minutes.

With Paul Gascoigne pulling the strings at midfield for a large part of the contest there was not a lot for the new men to do.

Though that is not to say they didn’t leave their mark on this at times bad-tempered game.

Rangers: Goram, McCall, Cleland, Gough, Porrini, Bjorklund, Thern, Gascoigne (Albertz 89), Negri, Gattuso, Laudrup (Durie 83).

Celtic: Gould, Boyd (Lambert 73), Mahe, McNamara, Rieper, Stubbs (Annoni 16), Larsson, Burley, Donnelly, Weighorst, Blinker (Thom 60).

Referee: K Clark (Paisley).

Attendance: 50,082.


WBC champion Lennox Lewis walked away unimpressed after watching Evander Holyfield clear a path for the two fighters to meet for the undisputed world heavyweight title.

“Evander is there for the taking,” said Lewis, after Holyfield had stopped Michael Moorer at the end of the eighth round in Las Vegas to claim the World Boxing Association and International Boxing Federation crowns.

A jubilant Lewis added: “I don't think he's ready for Lennox Lewis yet. It was a so-so fight, mediocre.

“I still say I'd beat Holyfield in three rounds.”

And yesterday, Lewis' manager Frank Maloney said the two fighters could meet early next year.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: