Sport

Sean McComb back in the frame for Commonwealth Games after Ulster Council shake-up

Sean McComb had previously stated that he would never box in Ulster again, but says that could change after Kevin Duffy was elected provincial president at the weekend
Neil Loughran

SEAN McComb has indicated his intention to enter November’s Ulster Elites following the changes at the top of provincial boxing body, putting him back in the frame for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The European Games silver medallist had previously stated that he would never box in Ulster again while Paul McMahon remained president but, after Kevin Duffy topped the poll at Sunday’s re-ordered election, McComb is now back on the radar.

As the reigning Irish light-welterweight champion, the 24-year-old will be the favourite to take the 64kg spot on Team NI at next April’s Commonwealths in Australia should he enter the Ulster Elites.

“I’m happy Kevin and Charlie [Toland] have been voted in. I’m not sure yet what I’m doing, I’ll have to sit down with my coaches and weigh up what’s best for me,” said the Holy Trinity stylist.

“But yes, I’d love to go to the Gold Coast, it would be a brilliant experience.”

And Kevin Duffy said he hoped McComb would make his return to the provincial championships, having last boxed in Ulster when Joe Fitzpatrick got the nod after a box-off for the 2014 Commonwealths.

“We would be absolutely delighted if Sean and our other top athletes competed,” said Duffy.

“Sean McComb is one of the highest profile boxers in Ireland and obviously one of the best boxers we have, so it would be a great asset for us to have him competing in our provincial championships.”

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Become a subscriber and get full access

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: