In The Irish News - Sep 19 1996: Danny Ball steps into the Tyrone manager hotseat
DANNY Ball has been named as the new Tyrone manager.
The appointment is effective immediately although as Ball intimated in the Irish News last week, he will not officially take up the post until after the senior county final between Errigal Ciaran and Carrickmore.
Ball has secured his own back-up team of Francis Martin and Anthony Gallagher, who worked with the Donagheady man on the All-Ireland winning U21 teams of 1991 and 92.
Ball, who has been Errigal Ciaran’s manager since 1993, said he would be meeting with his management team over the weekend.
And he pledged that squad strengthening will be one of his priorities, with a close look being taken at players both inside and outside the panel.
The door will be open for everyone that I feel will benefit Tyrone,” he said.
“There can’t be much wrong with the squad at the moment when it has won back to back Ulster titles.
“That takes some doing, since it hasn’t been done in twenty years.”
He also admitted to being disappointed that Tyrone have not won an All-Ireland title in the last two years. “I know the players are there, I don’t know why they haven’t won an All-Ireland, and only by working with them will I ever know that.”
Ball, who lives very close to the Tyrone/Derry border, will face a baptism of fire in his first match as Tyrone boss, as the Red Hands are set to play Derry in the first round of the National League on October 13 at Celtic Park.
CRUISERWEIGHT Ray Kane said last night he “no longer wanted to beat” Darren Corbett, but wanted to “smash him up” in the next Ulster Hall Belfast Fight Night, expected to be confirmed for November 5.
Kane is expected to be given medical clearance to fight again today after he was forced to pull out of the Irish title showdown with Corbett in the Ulster Hall when it was discovered he had scar tissue in his left hand.
Corbett hit out at Kane yesterday, saying he was hiding from “inevitable defeat.”
But last night Clondalkin-born Kane said Corbett knew he was not hiding and that the fight would go ahead.
“Darren Corbett said some very hurtful things about me in the media before and after the last fight and now I am fed up with him.
“But now if he wants to continue insulting me I no longer want to beat him, I want to smash him up and I will.
“I fear no fighter on the island and I know Darren needs this fight with me. I need it too.”
DOWN star Conor Deegan said last night that a decision on where he will play his club football in the coming season is “not imminent.”
The former Allstar scoffed at rumours that he has already secured a move to former Dublin giants St Vincent’s.
Deegan was spotted in the company of ex-Vincents and Dublin star Jimmy Keaveney at the Kilmacud Sevens in the capital last weekend.
But Deegan indicated yesterday that “people were putting two and two together and coming up with five”.
“I was talking to Keith Barr last weekend as well.
“I suppose people will be saying that I’m about to sign for his club Erin’s Isle as well,” joked the Down midfielder last night.