Back in the day: Irish News July 11 1997: New Commonwealth king Darren Corbett has world champions running scared
NEW Commonwealth cruiserweight champion Darren Corbett has the division’s world champions running scared and he plans to continue his explosive impact next month.
Belfast’s latest big-punching hero has been given a prime slot on the undercard to the unofficial world heavyweight title eliminator between Polish born Andrew Golota and American Ray Mercer in Atlantic City on August 16.
Corbett claimed the Commonwealth title last month in Belfast when he sensationally knocked out former unbeaten title holder Chris Okoh in three destructive rounds.
Manager Barry Hearn says he has been astounded by the worldwide reaction to the 24-year-old’s victory.
“Darren is hot property after knocking out Okoh. His punching power and charisma makes him very marketable,” he said.
“Already the world champions are looking to steer clear of Darren. This is a great opportunity for him to impress the Americans on a major stage.
“HBO’s chief Seth Abraham will be at ringside to see Darren. He’s very excited about a white Irishman who can punch harder than anyone in the cruiserweight division.
“An impressive victory would open up a lot of doors for Darren who will fight for a world title within a year.”
THE match between a Linfield/Cliftonville side and as international select due to take place at Solitude on August 6 has been postponed, it was confirmed last night.
Cliftonville chairman Jim Boyce said due to the civil unrest the two clubs could not guarantee that the top premier stars who were due to appear would be there.
Stars like Steve McManaman and Roy Keane were expected to lead a host of players from the English and Scottish premierships.
But Boyce said he, along with Linfield chairman Billy McCoubrey and Soccer School David Campbell, hope the game will go ahead at the end of the 1997/98 season.
Proceeds of the game were due to go to the scanner appeal at the Royal Victoria Hospital for sick children.
FORMER Northern Ireland striker Jimmy Quinn is reviving his playing career at the age of 38 after failing to return to management following his departure from Reading.
The one-time Blackburn and West Ham striker has held talks with Peterborough and his old club Bournemouth about returning to action.
Peterborough manager Barry Fry has offered Quinn a one-year contract and he has also been offered terms by Bournemouth to return to Dean Court.
Quinn, who has been interviewed for management jobs at Walsall and Blackpool, said: “I’ve probably got two or three years left in me as a player.”
IAN Wright last night faced up to a £15,000 Football Association fine for misconduct and a stern warning that he can expect much worse if he oversteps the mark again.
The wayward Arsenal and England striker is paying a hefty price – one of the largest fines ever imposed on a player by the FA – after pleading guilty to two charges of misconduct following incidents at home to Blackburn and away to Coventry last April.