Sport

On this Day in the Irish News: May 20 1997

Speculation surrounded Shay Given's proposed move from Blackburn Rovers to Newcastle
Padraig O Meiscill

TYRONE manager Danny Ball last night reacted angrily to the news that the Ulster Championship preliminary round replay between Down and Tyrone will take place at Clones (3.30).

But while Ball blasted the decision taken at last night's Ulster Council meeting, the county board remained tightlipped, and the possibility of the county appealing the decision has not been ruled out.

Ball slammed the announcement (which was confirmed late last night by Ulster Council spokesman Danny Murphy) as “a terrible decision”.

“This is just another one of the Ulster Council's petty decisions,” he said.

“We would have gladly went to Newry for the first game but the counties themselves seem to have no say in these matters.

“It seems everything has to be in Clones these days and the whole thing needs to be looked at.”

County chairman Paul Doris said the county board “had no comment to make at this time”.

However it's understood that the possibility of appealing the Ulster Council decision was one of the topics discussed at a meeting in Omagh last night.

Tyrone's delegate to the Central Council and spokesman for the management team Jimmy Treacey said last night's decision was bitterly disappointing for the county.

“Normally when any preliminary or first round game ends in a draw, then the replay is automatically at the other team's home venue.

“Technically it was Down's home match and because they were unable to facilitate the game, then it was switched to Clones.

“If the first game had been in Newry there would have been no doubt that the replay would be in Omagh.

“It seems we are being penalised because Down were not able to hold their game in Newry.”

SHAY Given last night confirmed he will start tomorrow's World Cup qualifier against Liechtenstein at Lansdowne Road.

And the 20-year-old goalkeeper from Donegal hinted that negotiations concerning a proposed move from Blackburn Rovers to Newcastle United could be completed before as early as next week.

Given will earn his ninth cap in only his second competitive game in tomorrow's qualifier. Ironically, his only other start in the qualifying series came in the 5-0 drubbing of the same opposition in Eschen last August. But his first appearance in front of a home crowd is something he is going to savour.

“It should be fantastic having the home crowd as well as my friends and family to cheer me on,” said Given.

“I don't know exactly how many of them are able to get off work, but I'll know soon enough when they're on the phone looking for tickets!”

CELTIC managing director Fergus McCann last night rubbished claims by Portuguese striker Jorge Cadete that he paid his own £400,000 transfer fee from Sporting Lisbon.

McCann faxed a signed confirmation from Celtic's bankers, the Co-operative Bank, to the media showing that the club paid Sporting “a sum of several hundred thousand pounds” on March 28, 1996.

Cadete had claimed that he had to pay his own fee and that Celtic still owed him the money, but McCann says this is “totally untrue.” The Parkhead chief has already suspended winger Paolo di Canio for two weeks, after the Italian made similar claims to those now voiced by Cadete, and the Portuguese forward now looks certain to be banned as well.

McCann said: “There have been claims by Jorge Cadete and various other parties that Jorge Cadete paid his transfer fee to Sporting Lisbon in March of 1996. The fact of this matter is that these claims are totally untrue.

“To ensure that there is no further doubt in this matter and that the Celtic support and general public are not further seriously misled, I enclose confirmation from Celtic's bankers that offers definitive confirmation that Celtic paid Sporting Lisbon a fee for Jorge Cadete.”

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: