Aaron McEneff double gives Derry victory over Shamrock Rovers

Derry City's Aaron McEneff races away to celebrate his first goal against Shamrock Rovers at Maginn Park Picture by Margaret McLaughlin
Seamus Crudden at Maginn Park

Airtricity League Premier Division: Derry City 3 Shamrock Rovers 1

DERRY City returned to winning ways following a fantastic and fully-deserved win over an in-form Shamrock Rovers side.

Aaron McEneff’s double – one right at the start of the game and one at the death – sealed the three points for the Candystripes and moves them four points clear of the Tallaght men.

Boss Kenny Shiels made one change from their side which drew at Limerick, with Lukas Schubert coming into the starting line-up for Joshua Daniels, who dropped to the bench.

Rovers had the first chance of the game on five minutes as Graham Burke’s right wing free-kick found Gary Shaw but his glancing header flashed just wide.

City raced into a sixth minute later in stunning fashion as McEneff's 20-yard strike clipped the underside of Tomer Chencinski’s crossbar on the way into the net.

The Dubliners equalised in sublime style as Shaw’s knockdown found Graham Burke and with his weaker right foot he volleyed the ball past City goalkeeper Gerard Doherty from the left hand edge of the box.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Derry – somewhat against the run of play – regained the advantage when a slick passing move ended with Schubert’s clever pass picking out Barry McNamee and the midfielder made no mistake, drilling the ball home from 10 yards.

Derry were inches away from adding a third when Ronan Curtis’s curling 20-yarder was well kept out by a fully stretched Chencinski.

City were awarded a penalty on 90 minutes after Ronan Curtis was brought down inside the box by David Webster and referee Ben Connolly pointed to the spot, from where McEneff made no mistake firing home low into Chencinski’s bottom left hand corner.

Kenny Shiels’s side deservedly wrapped up the three points on 90 minutes when Curtis was brought down inside the box by David Webster and McEneff fired home the resulting spot-kick to spark wild celebrations amongst the home support.

FINN Harps suffered late heartache as Vinny Faherty’s 92nd-minute strike gave Galway United a 2-1 win at Eamonn Deacy Park. Harps had led at half-time as Barry Molloy’s effort hit the post and went in, but Ronan Murray, from a penalty, and Faherty struck back for the hosts.

Friday's results

SSE Airtricity League Premier Division: Bray 1 Bohemians 2, Cork City 5 Drogheda Utd 0, Derry City 3 Shamrock Rovers 1, Galway Utd 2 Finn Harps 1, Limerick FC 0 Dundalk 3, St Patrick’s 1 Sligo 1


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: