Paddy Barnes scores comfortable points win at the Waterfront in Belfast

Paddy Barnes in action during his victory over Argentina's Adrian Dimas Garzon 
Andy Watters at the Waterfront, Belfast

A WORKMANLIKE performance from Paddy Barnes was enough to see him record the second win of his professional career against Argentina's Adrian Dimas Garzon at the Waterfront Hall in Belfast.

Barnes was the clear winner and took the decision 60-54 on referee Hugh Russell jnr’s scorecard.

“It was a good workout,” he said afterwards.

“I’m happy to get the six rounds.”

With his intriguing array of gang tattoos and long, curly mullet, Argentine Garzon looked like he walked straight off the set of Breaking Bad and, though he might be more suited to a movies set than the boxing ring, he gave a decent account of himself last night.

Barnes was on top throughout, but he was made to work for his win.

The double Olympic medalist maintained the pressure from the first bell to the last and was never in trouble. He displayed good stamina and punch volume and took a shut-out points win that he hopes will pave the way to a title shot before the year is out.


Super-Featherweight Championship Of Ireland: Declan Geraghty v James Tennyson

A WHIPLASH left hook saw James Tennyson crowned Irish Super-Featherweight champion at the Waterfront Hall.

In an intriguing clash of styles, pressure puncher Tennyson prevailed against slick boxer Declan Geraghty.

“I knew it was over when I landed that shot,” said ‘Tenny’ who dropped Dubliner Geraghty for the second time in the sixth round.

Geraghty was also down in the second, but in between he displayed some impressive fighting skills as Tennyson looked to wear him down.

Geraghty took the first, with fast hands and quick feet, but Tennyson caught up with him in the second and sent him crashing to the canvas with a massive right hand.

Geraghty (now 14-2) recovered well though and may have edged the third and it looked as if Tennyson needed to find a Plan B after his opponent dominated the next two rounds.

But he continued to cut off the ring and pile on the pressure. Geraghty slipped shots and caught him with counters but Tennyson caught up with him and landed a left hook that sent him down for the second time and this time there was no way back.

Kronk fighter Tennyson threw a hell-for-leather barrage and referee David Irving stepped in to call it off with seven seconds of the round left.


MARCO McCullough insists he will be fit for his British title rumble with Ryan Walsh on May 6 despite injuring his hand in the second of eight one-sided rounds against Lionel Hernandez.

Featherweight McCullough’s right hand was badly swollen after his run-in with the barrel-chested Spanish hardman who was down in the first round but refused to concede defeat.

There was evidence that he was there for the duration when he soaked up a punishing bodyshot that arrowed under his guard and he had a granite chin too. Referee Hugh Russell looked on closely, but Hernandez made it through the round. It was mostly one-way traffic from there, but McCullough couldn’t find a way to stop him.

“He was as tough as old boots,” he said afterwards.

“I knew after the first round, he was easy to hit but he was just absorbing everything.”


McCULLOUGH was watching from ringside as super-lightweight, Tyrone McKenna won the Bui Celtic title when he stopped Dubliner Jake Hanney in an all-out war.

Both fighters had been cut before McKenna took control in the fifth and referee David Irving stepped in midway through the sixth.


AT super-lightweight, hard-hitting Dubliner Phil Sutcliffe jnr moved to 13-1 with the eight stoppage win of his career against Miguel Aguilar.

Barcelona-based Aguilar had a considerable height advantage but wasn’t able to make it count against Sutcliffe who stalked him down from the first bell and hurt him with a right hook in the opening minute.

Aguilar replied with one of his own before the end of the round but Sutcliffe took control in the second, working off his jab and landing hurtful shots as the Spaniard backed up. There was more of the same in the third and fourth as Sutcliffe took complete control and a stunning left hook was the beginning of the end for Aguilar in the fifth.

Sutcliffe waded in with a barrage of shots to the head and he took more punishment that he should have before referee John Lowey jumped in to stop it just as the towel came in with 27 seconds left in the round.


THERE was a straightforward debut win for Lewis Crocker who took just one minute and seven seconds to blast out hopelessly out-matched Ferenc Jarko.

Crocker dropped Jarko with a right hand and he followed it up by pinning Jarko, who had obviously had enough, to the ropes and referee Eamon Magill waved it off.

“It’s been two years since I last fought, so it’s great to get back in the ring again,” said Crocker.

“He came to fight but I knew once I got those small gloves on that he wouldn’t be able to live with me. I’ll stay humble, I’ll not get carried away and I’ve a good team around me so hopefully I’ll be out again in the next couple of months. I want to stay busy.”


Waterfront results

Bui Celtic Super-Lightweight Championship: Tyrone McKenna bt Jake Hanney TKO 6

Light-Heavyweight: Steven Ward bt Curtis Gargano 40-36

Heavyweight: Con Sheehan bt Ferenc Zsalek pts 80-72

Featherweight: Marco McCullough bt Lionel Hernandez pts 80-71

Super-Lightweight: Phil Sutcliffe Jnr v Miguel Aguilar TKO 5

Heavyweight: Sean Turner bt Igor Mihaljevic TKO 2

Welterweight: Gary Corcoran bt James Gorman TKO 5

Welterweight: Lewis Crocker bt Ferenc Jarko TKO 1

Middleweight: Troy Williamson bt Casey Blair TKO 3


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: