301 Moved Permanently

Moved Permanently

The document has moved here.


Cliftonville fight back for a point against Glenavon

Cliftonville’s David McDaid is congratulated by team-mate Marty Donnelly after scoring against Glenavon in last night’s Danske Bank Premiership game at Mourneview Park. Picture by Pacemaker
Laure James at Mourneview Park

Glenavon 2 Cliftonville 2

CLIFTONVILLE are now a point behind Linfield in the Premiership after sharing the spoils with Glenavon at Mourneview Park last night.

Gerard Lyttle’s troops overturned a 2-0 deficit to level before half-time, and resisted constant pressure thereafter.

Glenavon squandered a 2-0 lead by half-time, goals from Guy Bates and Andy McGrory were answered by Davy McDaid and Stephen Garrett.

The home side’s biggest threat came from the left when Mark Patton collected in his own half and recovered the ball after being dispossessed, to create an early chance.

The Reds responded instantly when a powerful shot from Davy McDaid was palmed onto the post by Jonathan Tuffey.

Patton then set up Bates for a straightforward opener 12 minutes in, before Glenavon doubled their lead three minutes later, James Singleton this time involved for McGrory to bundle home.

Singleton’s long throw was flicked on in error by Jason McGuinness to an isolated McGrory, who had little difficulty from close range.

Caolan Marron could have headed in but Tuffey saved before Cliftonville hit back.

Martin Donnelly’s pinpoint cross from the right was struck forcefully by McDaid and crashed into the roof of the net on 22 minutes.

Tuffey was called upon to make a double save from Martin Donnelly’s efforts close to the half-hour mark, but there was little he could do as Garrett levelled matters on 38 minutes, heading confidently past Tuffey from an excellent cross from James Knowles.

Greg Moorhouse’s effort from the edge of the box was spectacular, as he turned and smashed his volleyed shot towards goal, but Burke produced a great save, before David Elebert’s header was cleared off the line by Martin Donnelly just before half-time.

In the second half, Burke produced another wonder save to deny Patton from distance, but when Glenavon were pinging the ball towards his goalmouth he looked uneasy.

Burke remained defiant, however, but the visitors struggled to trigger an attack, despite the efforts of Chris Curran and substitute Ross Lavery.

Meanwhile a wonder goal from Adam Lecky was enough for 10-man Ballinamallard to see off Portadown at Ferney Park last night.

There was controversy after half-an-hour when Ballinamallard’s Ross Taheny was shown a straight red card for a last ditch tackle, but while Portadown were awarded a free-kick, they were adamant the tackle came inside the box and should have been a penalty.

Just five minutes later, however, Ballinamallard were in front. 

Lecky picked up the ball on the edge of the box and sent in a curling shot which rebounded off the inside of the post and into the net.

Portadown piled on the pressure in the second-half in an attempt to salvage something, but Ballinamallard held on to pull clear of the relegation zone.


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope:  

301 Moved Permanently

Moved Permanently

The document has moved here.