Sport

Clarke thrilled to see world's 'biggest tournament' in Ireland

Darren Clarke talks with golf course designer Martin Ebert during a press conference at Royal Portrush on Tuesday
Picture: PA 
Phil Casey and Brian Keogh

FORMER winner Darren Clarke admits he never thought it would be possible to contest the Open Championship on home soil.

The R&A announced on Tuesday that Clarke’s home course of Royal Portrush – where his replica Claret Jug is on display – will host the Open in 2019, only the second time golf’s oldest Major will have been played outside England and Scotland.

“I played a lot of my golf here, I lived here and was a proud member here, but to think would we ever get through the dark times Northern Ireland has had, to get to this stage where we have the biggest and best tournament in the world, I’d be very foolish to say yes,” the European Ryder Cup captain said.

“Nobody could foresee that coming through in the bad old days, but to see how far we have all come, how far our politicians have moved this part of the country on, it’s been brilliant.”

Dungannon man Clarke, who lives in Portrush and has his gold medal and replica Claret Jug on display in the Royal Portrush clubhouse, pointed to European Tour chief George O’Grady’s decision to take the Irish Open to Portrush in 2012 as key to the R&A’s decision.

“I think George O’Grady deserves the credit for that,” Clarke said.

“It was a very brave and courageous move for George to bring the [Irish] Open back north again. And I think his effort in the whole thing shouldn’t be underestimated.”

R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers added: “We spent a lot of time with the Northern Ireland executive, the tourist board, the club and external advisers working through those particular issues. We are very comfortable that where we stand today, that we will be fine hosting it in July.”

Portrush has not hosted a Major championship since the 1951 Open, won by Max Faulkner, but the Irish Open drew massive crowds in 2012 and the likes of Clarke, Rory McIlroy, Graeme McDowell and Pádraig Harrington – all Major champions – lobbied on Portrush’s behalf.

In August last year, club members voted overwhelmingly in favour of the course changes required, with the current 17th and 18th holes on the Dunluce Links used for championship infrastructure and two new holes being created.

McDowell’s brother Gary is a member of the greenkeeping staff at the club and the former US Open champion said: “As a local, when the day comes it’s going to be a great moment. I will be turning 40 that year, but I will be expecting to be there and to win a Claret Jug in my home town would be dream stuff.”

McIlroy, who holds the Portrush course record of 61, added: “To hear that the Open is going there in 2019 is a dream come true. I never thought I would be able to play an Open Championship at home. I’m really excited.”

Peter Unsworth, R&A championship committee chairman, said: “We are very much looking forward to bringing The Open to Royal Portrush in 2019 and believe it will be a tremendous venue for the Championship.

“We know there is great anticipation throughout Ireland at the prospect of welcoming the world’s top golfers and it promises to be a hugely memorable week. We are delighted with the progress being made on the course preparations and they will undoubtedly enhance the challenge presented by these historic links.”

The Open is expected to be the biggest sporting event ever held in Northern Ireland and could generate up to £70million for the local economy. The overall length of the course will increase by just under 200 yards to 7,337 yards and the number of bunkers will be increased by three to 62 in total, still leaving Royal Portrush with the fewest bunkers of any of the courses which host The Open.

The work is due to be complete by the middle of 2016 with the two new holes being given time to grow-in ahead of the following season. Taken in conjunction with a slew of other smaller changes to the course, par will change from 72 to 71

Clarke was initially sceptical of the changes undertaken by architect Martin Ebert, but added: “Due to being such a fan of the golf course I wasn’t sure about some of them, but when I went round with Martin and he explained them to me I could understand where he was coming from.

“The more I looked at them I could see the changes were going to make the course better. There’s a difference between making it tougher and making it better. He’s making it better and there’s a big difference. I can’t praise Martin highly enough as he is providing a modern lift to one of the best courses in the world.

“There’s no reason why we can’t have an Irish Open here after The Open and I’d be hopeful it will come back here. I think the players when they get here, as well as it being the biggest and best tournament in the world, will enjoy the course and the area. The welcome they get here will be second to none.”

Clarke expects the revamped course to become one of the world’s best, insisting: “If it is not ranked amongst the top five after these changes, I will be amazed because this is as fair a links course as you will ever play. 

“Going back to the Irish Open in 2012, for players to have it as their favourite tournament, blowing a gale in pouring rain, speaks volumes about the course."

Sport

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: