Sponsored Features

Brexit: How will you be affected?


People living across Northern Ireland will have many practical questions about how things may change for them after Brexit.

For some there will be little or no change to their daily lives after the UK leaves the European Union.

But for others, Brexit may have an impact on some aspects of their day-to-day lives.

To provide as much practical information for people across Northern Ireland that is currently available, a Brexit section has been created on the nidirect website.

Useful public information is being published on www.nidirect.gov.uk/brexit on a regular basis.

You may have also seen some of the digital advertisements across Northern Ireland or on your social media channels asking you to visit the nidirect website for the most up to date information.

The nidirect Brexit section also points to information being published by the UK Government to give people as much information as possible.

At this stage, it won’t answer every question that people will have.

But is serves as a useful tool to get people to start thinking about what they may need to do differently once the UK leaves the EU.

Included on www.nidirect.gov.uk/brexit is a section on travelling, which includes the most up to date information for motorists.

Depending on how the UK leaves the EU, motorists in Northern Ireland may need a Green Card to drive across the border.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK, guaranteeing that the driver has the necessary third-party motor insurance cover for driving in the country being travelled to.

In the event of a no deal Brexit, motorists in Northern Ireland travelling to the Republic will need a Green Card 

In the event of a no deal Brexit, motorists in Northern Ireland travelling to the Republic of Ireland will need a Green Card as proof of insurance.

There’s also the most up to date information from the Department of Health on prescriptions, medicines and medical supplies.

The Department of Health has already said that there is enough medicines and medical products to meet current needs.

Therefore people should not ask for longer prescriptions and should continue to follow their GP’s advice.

Likewise, arrangements for the provision of specific cross border healthcare services made between the Department of Health in Northern Ireland and the Department of Health in Dublin (such as the Paediatric Congenital Heart Service or the North West Cancer Centre) should not be affected by the UK's departure as they are not based on EU legislation.

Arrangements for the provision of specific cross border healthcare services should not be affected by Brexit, according to government advice 

Also at www.nidirect.gov.uk/brexit there is information and links to further information for businesses, employers and EU citizens.

There is also information on the Common Travel Area (CTA) at www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance

You might not have heard about the Common Travel Area before, but it gives British and Irish citizens agreed rights and privileges in both jurisdictions.

The CTA is not based on EU membership and is a long standing arrangements based on domestic legislation and agreements between the UK and Irish governments and deals with a range of issues.

The website www.nidirect.gov.uk/brexit will be updated as and when new information becomes clear and available.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Sponsored Features

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: