World news

21 killed in multiple attacks in Afghanistan

More than 20 people have been killed in a series of attacks in Afghanistan.

A total of 21 people have been killed in a series of attacks in Afghanistan.

A roadside bombing killed 11 people as they were travelling to a wedding in the country's east, a local official said.

The attack came hours after an Afghan policeman turned his rifle on his colleagues as they slept at an outpost in eastern Nangarhar province, killing five.

Later, five more police were killed in fighting with the Taliban in eastern Kapisa province.

Those killed by the roadside bomb in Logar province – five women, five children and a man – were all from the same family, said Salim Salleh, the spokesman for the provincial governor of Logar.

In the Nangarhar attack, district governor Abdul Wahab Momand said the officer shot his colleagues at an outpost in the district of Ghanikhil.

After the shooting, the attacker, who was only identified by one name, Nasratullah, seized all the victims' firearms and fled the scene, the governor said.

In Kapisa, the Taliban attacked a police checkpoint early on Friday morning, killing five policemen, according to Qais Qaderi, a spokesman for the provincial governor.

He said the assault took place in Tagab district, adding that 10 Taliban fighters were also killed, including two commanders.

Afghanistan has the highest number of mine victims in the world, which along with roadside bombs kill or wound about 140 people every month. The Taliban has stepped up attacks since announcing the spring offensive last month.

Elsewhere in Afghanistan, another roadside bomb targeted a US militarily convoy in northern Parwan province on Friday, the international mission's media officer Doug High said.

The explosion disabled an armoured vehicle but caused no injuries, Mr High said. After recovering the vehicle, the convoy continued on its mission, he added.

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: