301 Moved Permanently

Moved Permanently

The document has moved here.

UK News

Former partner of London Bridge killer condemns his actions

Khuram Shazad Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba who have been named as the London Bridge terrorists. Picture by Metropolitan Police, Press Association
Press Association reporters

THE ex-partner of London Bridge terrorist Rachid Redouane has spoken of her shock and condemned his actions.

Charisse O'Leary, who married Redouane in Dublin several years ago, said she has "shed many tears for the people caught up in this horrific incident".

Redouane was one of three men who drove into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing people in Borough Market on Saturday night. Eight people were killed and dozens more injured.

Ms O'Leary said in a statement: "I am deeply shocked, saddened and numbed by the actions of my ex-partner who has killed and injured so many innocent people".

Redouane (30) was a chef who also used the name Rachid Elkhdar. Police said he claimed to be Moroccan-Libyan.

Ms O'Leary said she had been separated from Redouane for six months.

"We have a beautiful young daughter, that for the last six months has been our only bond and reason for contact," she continued.

"My thoughts and efforts now are with trying to bring up my daughter with the knowledge that some day I will have to try and explain to her why her father did what he did.

"I wish to make it absolutely clear, so there can be no doubt, I condemn his actions and do not support the beliefs he held that led to him committing this atrocity."

The family of one of the other attackers, Khuram Butt, have said they are "shocked and appalled" by his actions.

Butt (27) was born in Pakistan but was a British citizen and married with two children.

In a statement, Butt's family said: "As a family we are shocked and appalled by the actions of Khuram and his associates.

"We strongly condemn these actions.

"Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with the victims and families at this time.

"Now more than ever we need to work together to stop the actions of the mindless few who claim to be acting in the name of Islam."

The mother of the third attacker, Youssef Zaghba, a 22-year-old Moroccan-Italian, has said "it's impossible for me to say anything that makes sense".

Valeria Collina Kadhija said her son had been under surveillance in Italy.

Speaking from her home in Bologna, she said: "He would say to me: 'Come on mum, let's go live in Syria. Over there, they have a pure Islam.'

"I told him: 'Are you crazy? I have no intention of going to Syria with you or with anyone. I'm fine in my country.'"

UK News

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope:  


301 Moved Permanently

Moved Permanently

The document has moved here.