NATIONALIST residents and politicians have welcomed restrictions placed on a parade to be held in north Belfast tomorrow, once again banning it from passing the Ardoyne area.
The Orange Order's Belfast District No 2 applied to march from Brook-mount Street in the Shankill to Ligoniel Orange Hall via Crumlin Road.
The stated reason was to "escort our fellow brethren home to their Orange Hall and therefore complete the Twelfth of July parade".
The banning of the Twelfth parade from passing Ardoyne shops, fol-lowed by a call for protests by the Orange Order, sparked serious rioting by loyalists.
The Parades Commission heard representations from the Crumlin Ardoyne Residents Association (Cara), Sinn Fein and the SDLP prior to considering the latest application, filed only on Tuesday.
No loyalist representatives and neither of the two main unionist parties made their views known.
Although it applied formally to hold the march, the Orange Order said last week that no-one in the unionist community should engage with the commission.
Tomorrow's march - involving 500 participants, three bands and an undisclosed number of supporters - will be permitted to proceed to the junction of Woodvale Road and Woodvale Parade but has been banned from passing Ardoyne.
The area was the scene of four nights of violence following the banning of the July 12 parade.
An Orange Order spokesman claimed the decision was "a further indictment of this already discredited body".
"Amid the obvious anger which has manifested itself over recent days, to which the commission must bear full responsibility, Grand Lodge would once again appeal for calm," it said.
"People are entitled to express their views through peaceful protest in a democratic society. However, those intent on causing trouble should stay away from Saturday's parade.
"Violence is counter-productive and serves no purpose, only damaging the cause of Orangeism."
The determination came after US diplomat Richard Haass had arrived in Northern Ireland to chair all-party talks in a bid to reach agreement on areas of contention such as flags and parades.
Welcoming the commission's decision, the SDLP's Alban Maginness said: "I hope that people remain calm in light of this decision and give the opportunity for local dialogue to be re-established and for a peaceful backdrop to the Haass talks."
Sinn Fein MLA Gerry Kelly said: "Whoever in the Orange Order thought this was a good move needs to reflect on how it has increased tensions and done absolutely nothing to point towards a resolution of the situation."
Cara spokesman Joe Marley said the commission's ruling was "the only logical decision".
"We believe the latest application by the Orange Order to be unhelpful and reckless," he said.
"To fuel an already volatile situation with this sort of tactic will do little to foster better relations between local communities and will make the job of finding a lasting resolution all the more difficult."
John McCallister of NI21 said the Orange Order needed to learn from "the positive experiences of respectful, sustained dialogue with residents in Londonderry and all across the country where we saw a peaceful celebration of culture".
"This was Orangeism at its best. By needlessly raising tensions in Belfast and neglecting to provide responsible leadership, the Orange Order is inflicting huge damage upon itself," he said.
A spokesman for the Greater Ardoyne Residents Collective (Garc) said: "This has been the most peaceful July in Ardoyne for many years, confirming what Garc has being saying for a long time now - that it is these unwanted coat trailing exercises that where the basis of trouble that plagued our community for generations."