Republic of Ireland news

House parties 'an issue' in rising coronavirus cases, Taoiseach says

Micheál Martin said ongregated indoor settings where up to 30 or 40 people gather in a house are a concern

 
Aine McMahon, Press Association

Taoiseach Micheál Martin has warned that house parties are an issue in the rising number of Covid-19 cases in the Republic of Ireland.

Mr Martin told the Dail that during a conversation with acting chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn, concerns were raised about the increase of coronavirus cases in recent weeks.

He said that congregated indoor settings where up to 30 or 40 people gather in a house are a concern.

No new coronavirus-related deaths were reported in the Repubilc today, leaving the total at 1,746, the National Public Health Emergency Team said.

As of midnight on July 13, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) had been notified of 32 confirmed new cases of Covid-19, taking the total to 25,670 confirmed cases.

The Taoiseach also said that following the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) meeting today, the government will meet tomorrow to consider its advice and discuss international travel.

The government is expected to agree on a "green list" of countries where people can travel to.

Mr Martin said that while there has been "a lot of commentary" around the number of American tourists arriving in the Republic, information from the Department of Transport suggests that the numbers are quite low.

He said: "From the outset of the pandemic, travel has never been banned officially.

"I've been speaking to the chief medical officer, there are concerns in terms of increases in the number of Covid cases over the last fortnight.

"Congregated indoor settings is presenting a problem - 30 or 40 people in the house, for example at house parties, is an issue.

"We have to be very strong in terms of travel as well in terms of our messaging around travel, and with a view to keeping the rate down.

"That would be our objective in the coming weeks, with the overarching consideration being getting the schools open and getting the non-Covid strand of medicine opened up and free up our hospital capacity to do that."

Meanwhile, Tanaiste Leo Varadkar ruled out mandatory quarantine for people arriving into the Repubilc, saying it "turned out to be a bit of a disaster" in Australia.

There have been increased calls for mandatory quarantine rules for people arriving from countries such as the US that have high numbers of coronavirus cases.

Dr Glynn said yesterday that, from a public health perspective, mandatory quarantine would be a "desirable measure" but it was up to the government to decide given the wider implications.

Mr Varadkar said the Department of Health and government have insisted mandatory quarantine would not be practical.

"It's a high possibility this pandemic will go on for years until we have a vaccine or an effective treatment, and it's just not practical to cut ourselves off to international travel for that long - whether it's business, leisure, essential workers, people visiting friends and relatives, people coming home," he told Newstalk FM.

"The objective was to flatten the curve, suppress the virus, it was never to eliminate the virus. New Zealand thought they'd done that and they haven't - they now have new cases every day.

"Australia tried mandatory quarantine and it turned out to be a bit of a disaster. The centres, the hotels in which they quarantine people, became clusters for infection and now Melbourne is in a second lockdown."

Mr Varadkar said the government intends to publish a "green list" of countries where it is safe to travel to and from without having to quarantine next week.

"What we're going to do when it comes to travelling to countries that aren't on the green list or a list, is (look at) tighter controls - that could mean putting the passenger locator form online and it also means potentially looking at testing," he added.

"People will say testing is inferior to mandatory quarantine, but if we know mandatory quarantine can't be done then maybe it's better to do something like that than nothing at all."

Ryanair announced today that it is cutting its Ireland-UK schedules for the months of August and September by up to 1,000 flights.

A spokesman for the budget airline said Ireland "is now suffering unrecoverable losses" as arriving EU passengers are forced to quarantine even while the border to Northern Ireland remains open with no quarantine requirement for passengers.

"Last week, when the UK and Northern Ireland removed travel restrictions on short-haul flights to/from the European Union, Ireland became the only country in the EU with a blanket 14-day quarantine restriction on all arrivals from EU countries, most of which have lower Covid case rates than Ireland," the spokesman said.

Ryanair called on the Irish Government to remove all travel restrictions between Ireland "as a matter of urgency".

No new coronavirus-related deaths were reported in the south yesterday, leaving the total at 1,746, the National Public Health Emergency Team said.

As of midnight on July 12, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) had been notified of 11 confirmed new cases of Covid-19, taking the total to 25,639 confirmed cases in the Republic.

 

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Republic of Ireland news