Dublin coroner removes block on Northern Ireland cremations
THE Dublin coroner has removed a temporary block on cremations of people from Northern Ireland.
Last week The Irish News revealed that Dr Myra Cullinane had directed that the cremation of remains from the north would not be authorised.
Cremations would not be allowed until further consideration was given "to the legal basis for the authorisation", the Dublin coroner's office said.
It said there was "no formal protocol" for people who have died in Northern Ireland being cremated in the Republic, and the decision related "only to deaths occurring in Northern Ireland and coming into the Dublin Coroner's District solely for cremation".
The issue emerged after a retired Co Down schoolteacher's bereaved family were told the coroner had not authorised his scheduled cremation at Dardistown Crematorium.
The cremation went ahead as planned on Wednesday last week after the coroner granted an exception, but the block remained in place for future requests.
The Irish Association of Funeral Directors had expressed surprise at the move, and the Glasnevin Trust – which runs Dardistown Crematorium – said it would be "seeking clarification".
However, a spokesman for the Dublin coroner yesterday confirmed the matter "has been resolved" and cremations will be approved "as long as proper paperwork is presented".
"The funeral director must have the proper paperwork, and that's the coroner giving out-of-state clearance and a death certificate from Northern Ireland," he added.
The Dublin district has four of the eight crematoriums in Ireland. There is also one crematorium each in Belfast, Cavan, Cork and Clare.