Subscribe Now

Police issue more photos over street disorder

Published 11/02/2014




Police have released 24 images of people they want to speak to about serious rioting in Belfast last summer.

The pictures were made public by the PSNI's 'Operation Titan' investigation team, put in place to look at serious public disorder which erupted across the city last year.

The images relate to trouble which flared on July 16 and August 9.

Violence erupted in several loyalist districts in the days after the orange order was banned from walking past nationalist homes in Ardoyne in north Belfast on July 12.

There was trouble on July 16 on the lower Newtownards Road in east Belfast as well as several districts in the north of the city including Woodvale, Mount Vernon and North Queen Street.

Violence also broke out on August 9 in Belfast city centre after loyalists blocked the route of a republican anti-internment parade down Royal Avenue. Police said 56 officers were hurt.

There was also trouble in other areas of Belfast on the same night.

Detective Superintendent Sean Wright said yesterday: "For over a year, police officers have dealt with a number of episodes of serious disorder on the streets of Northern Ireland. "We have been clear from the outset that there would be consequences for individuals who seek to engage in illegal activity and we have been carrying out a thorough investigation to identify those involved and make them amenable for their actions".