Northern Ireland news

Two due in court linked to petrol bomb attack on property in Dungannon

A COUPLE and their two children narrowly escaped injury in a petrol bomb attack on their home in Dungannon at the weekend.

A man, woman, a young child and a baby were all in the house at Killymaddy Road at the time.

The PSNI said that after 9pm on Sunday it was reported that two men arrived at a house, and that one of them may have been armed with a knife.

A spokesman said: "When police arrived at the address, it was reported a petrol bomb had been thrown at the property, and a garden bench had been used to ram the front door, breaking a pane of glass. It was reported a second petrol bomb was thrown into the house."

Independent councillor Barry Monteith condemned the attack saying it was "horrific" and that a young family could have been facing a "shocking tragedy".

Alliance representative Matthew Beaumont described the attack as an "abhorrent act".

Detectives investigating the attack last night charged a 15-year-old teenage boy and a 34-year-old man with a range of offences including arson, possessing a petrol bomb and throwing a petrol bomb.

They are expected to appear at Omagh Magistrates Court today.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 to get full access

Northern Ireland news