More than 10,000 MoT tests cancelled so far
MORE than 10,000 MoT tests have been cancelled so far as a result of a faulty test equipment issue, it has emerged.
According to the Department for Infrastructure, around 10,500 tests have been cancelled since January 21.
However, during the same period, more than 17,400 tests have been carried out.
There has been serious disruption to MoT testing since defective lifts were found at test centres around Northern Ireland, with signs of "cracking" found in 48 of 55 lifts.
While tests have been continued as usual on heavy goods vehicles and buses, which do not need lifts, all over MoT apppointments were cancelled.
It was announced earlier this week that two new lifts are to be installed at test centres in Belfast and Derry in a bid to minimise disruption.
However Stormont Infrastructure Committee member Roy Beggs said the "first batch" of replacement lifts could take 12 weeks to arrive.
Meanwhile, in the Republic the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) suspended the use of vehicle lifts used in its testing centres.
The NCTS said it was "recently made aware of a defect with a similar make and model" to its lifts.
Their customers have been advised to continue to book and turn up for tests.