Northern Ireland news

Talks between trade unions and Stormont health department end without deal

Anne Speed of Unison, Kevin McAdam of Unite and Maria Morgan from Nipsa at Stormont on Thursday. Picture by Rebecca Black/PA

Talks between trade unions and the Department of Health ended without agreement today.

Health workers in Northern Ireland have been taking part in industrial action over pay and staffing levels.

There has been strike action as well as work-to-rule across the week, causing thousands of surgeries and appointments to be cancelled.

Negotiators from four trade unions that represent health workers and nurses held a three-hour meeting with the Department of Health in Belfast.

Secretary of State Julian Smith, who met the unions before the meeting, welcomed a fresh offer from the department.

But speaking on behalf of the unions, Anne Speed from Unison said it was “insufficient”.

Read More: Department chiefs insist 'budget constraints' preventing them from acting in pay dispute

“Despite the tweet from the secretary of state earlier this evening in the middle of discussions before the meeting concluded, our position is as follows: The department has presented a new position, trade unions have jointly agreed this remains insufficient and falls short of our members’ requirements and mandate that they have given us,” she said.

“Industrial action continues and joint planned trade union action remains in place for December 18.”

Health workers strike outside the Mater Hospital in north Belfast. Picture by Mark Marlow

The delegation included Kevin McAdam from Unite, Maria Morgan from Nipsa and Pat Cullen, director of the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) in Northern Ireland.

The department said the new offer involves a 3.1 per cent increase and an additional £28 million.

Permanent Secretary Richard Pengelly described the new offer as “sizeable”.

“It is a matter of great regret that unions have taken this position, indicating that industrial action will now escalate,” he said.

“This will impact significantly on patient care in an already very challenging period for the health service.

“We have made a sizeable new offer. In the absence of ministers, this is the furthest I am able to go. It is therefore the final offer for this year.”

He added: “I accept it does not address everything trade unions wanted. That will require a minister and longer term budgetary certainty. Neither does it resolve the financial and other challenges which the department is facing.”

Earlier three delegations of trade unions met with Mr Smith at Stormont House.

Mr Smith had on Wednesday described the ongoing absence of a health minister and devolved government amid the crisis as “unacceptable”.

In a statement yesterday morning, the Health and Social Care board apologised to patients affected by the industrial action.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Northern Ireland news