Dublin man due to contest terror charges
LAWYERS for a Dublin man accused of a catalogue of paramilitary offences are set to argue there is no case to answer, a judge heard yesterday.
Darren James Gleeson (37), originally from Dublin but with an address at Cable Street in Derry, faces a total of eight charges allegedly committed between 11 August 2014 and 22 October 2016, including membership of the IRA, conspiring with others to possess explosives, firearms and ammunition, preparing terrorist acts, receiving training and instruction in terrorism, attending a place used for terrorism and having documents or records useful to terrorists.
His case had been scheduled for a preliminary enquiry at Newry Magistrates Court which would have seen it referred upwards to the Crown Court but defence counsel Sean Devine yesterday revealed that he will be contesting the charges.
Mr Devine told District Judge Eamon King that Gleeson has previously been before the court but he was re-arrested in the Republic where he is now a sentenced prisoner.
With Gleeson remaining in the cells at the court, the lawyer revealed however that to date, the defence had not yet seen any extradition papers.
He told the court that if his argument failed and the case was not dismissed, it would likely “marry up” with the case against nine other men already facing similar offences.
The nine are due to go on trial at Belfast Crown Court next month and previous courts have heard how the prosecution case is based on meetings allegedly held in a property of a defence in the Ardcarn area of Newry, and which were covertly recorded by MI5.
In those meetings, those present allegedly discussed a number of terror plots including plans for attacks on Northern Ireland's transport infrastructure and future sniper strikes on high-profile targets.
Mr Judge King remanded Gleeson back into custody and listed the case for mention on November 6 when he will appear via videolink.