Housing Executive workers ordered from New Lodge
Housing Executive work in the New Lodge area of north Belfast was suspended last week after youths ordered workers from the area.
Tensions in the district are running high ahead of the planned lighting of a controversial bonfire to mark the anniversary of the introduction of internment tonight.
It is understood executive chiefs pulled some workers out of the district after a maintenance team was approached last Thursday.
However, it is believed that while some staff members were warned of the potential threat others were not immediately told and only learned of it from colleagues.
In a statement issued last week a spokesman for the executive said: “We are aware of the ongoing situation in the area and we will continue to monitor this.
“However, our services continue as normal.”
However, when pressed last night the spokesman said: “One of our maintenance teams were approached by youths in the New Lodge area and were told to leave.
“As a matter of precaution, we suspended some of our maintenance services for a short period whilst we sought reassurance about the safety of our staff and contractors in the area.
“Our services continued over the weekend and at the start of the week.
“We continue to monitor the situation.”