Northern Ireland news

Two 14-year-old boys charged with rioting after New Lodge disorder

Police arrested the two teenage boys on Saturday after four nights of disorder in the New Lodge area
John Monaghan

TWO teenage boys are to appear in court charged with rioting in the New Lodge area of north Belfast.

They have been charged in connection with disorder on Sunday July 28 and will appear at Belfast Youth Court on August 28 and August 30.

It followed four nights of anti-social behaviour and attacks on homes and police in the North Queen Street area.

On Wednesday, masked youths blocked the road with bins and trolleys which were set on fire and police came under attack from petrol bombs.

SDLP councillor Paul McCusker said that residents had been left "petrified".

The Irish News last week reported on how masked youths had been photographed playing a games console plugged into a street light, claiming they also had petrol bombs to protect an internment bonfire erected in an area known locally as 'The Barracks' behind Duncairn Parade.

Chief Inspector Kelly Moore said residents endured four nights of serious disorder on their doorstep adding that police "came under sustained attack from young people throwing masonry and petrol bombs".

"We had pledged to review all the available evidence, including footage captured by police officers on the ground, in order to identify perpetrators. As we progress our enquiries I would expect further arrests to follow in due course," she said.

"We have assigned additional resources to the area and these will remain in place over coming days.

"We want to keep young people safe and ensure they don't get involved in illegal activity or harmed in anyway however it is important that those engaged in violent behaviour on the streets, attacking police and their own community, understand that such actions have consequences."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe now to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: