Belfast Tesco opens again for business after Primark blaze
The Tesco store, in Belfast City centre, has been reopened following the blaze which destroyed the iconic Primark store last August.
An exclusion zone was immediately put in place following the massive blaze at Bank Buildings, extending along part of Royal Avenue and Castle Street, which initially left 14 businesses unable to trade.
Last week, the cordon around Primark had been scaled back.
Another major milestone for Belfast city centre following the Primark fire last August. https://t.co/TGs4ZaVtO6— Gareth McKeown (@GarethMckeownIN) May 20, 2019
Many shops and restaurants within the cordon remained closed for extended periods., but it has been gradually been scaled back and a walkway for pedestrians allowed many traders to re-open.
One of the most recent changes saw a section of the cordon removed in March to allow Zara to open its doors for the first time and in February, a walkway linking Fountain Street to Castle Street was opened, providing a boost for retailers in the area.
Tesco was one of the last businesses to remain shut.
It is also expected that Castle Junction will open soon to traffic and pedestrians being able to move through the city centre more freely.
Belfast City Council today said a pop up park at Castle Junction, which it had erected during the ongoing work, would soon be reduced.
It was established to help increase footfall in the city.
But the council said on Twitter: "Castle Place park has been a hit but it’s time to say bye as work starts to reduce the cordon and reopen Castle Junction to pedestrians/traffic".
Update around Castle Place: pic.twitter.com/pVIcVHIota— Belfast City Council (@belfastcc) May 9, 2019