Six men convicted of taking part in illegal parade in Derry launch appeal
SIX men including a prominent dissident republican convicted last week of taking part in an illegal parade in Derry have launched an appeal.
They were among a group of 11 men who were fined £750 each by District Judge Barney McElholm for their part in the parade in the Creggan area of the city on Easter Monday 2018.
Police vehicles came under attack from youths throwing stones and petrol bombs prior to the march, although the men were not convicted in relation to the disturbances.
Derry Magistrates Court heard last week from a PSNI inspector that he had tried to serve a notice on the parade organisers that anyone taking part was liable for prosecution but had been unable to do so as the shutters were down at offices at Junior McDaid House.
At a hearing yesterday a solicitor for five of the men said he was applying to appeal on behalf of his clients.
The men are prominent republican Thomas Ashe Mellon (43) of Rathmore Road in Derry, William McDonnell (32) of Harvey Street, Paul McIntyre (51) Ballymagowan Park, Gary Hayden (46) Tyrconnell Street and John Patrick Nash (65) of Fergleen Park.
A sixth man, Gearoid Cavanagh (30) of Northland Road, also applied for leave to appeal.
Judge McElholm granted leave to appeal and set bail conditions that none of the defendants "organise, attend or participate in any unnotified and/or illegal gathering, parade or procession".
The judge said the appeals should be heard before next Easter, with the court told it should be on June 25.