Northern Ireland news

Tributes paid to mother and daughter killed by neighbour

Giselle Marimon-Herrera (37) and her 15-year old daughter Allison who were murdered in their Newry home by a man who then took his own life.

Police are still trying to establish the cause of death of a mother and daughter, murdered in their home by a man who then took his own life.

Giselle Marimon-Herrera and her 15-year-old daughter Allison were found dead in their Co Down home on Thursday, after police forced entry into the apartment at Glin Ree Court in Newry.

A relative of the mother and daughter had raised the alarm after becoming concerned when they had failed to contact them for several days.

Their killer, a 38-year-old man originally from Scotland and known to the mother and daughter, has not been identified while police attempt to trace his family.

The two victims were known to be alive in the early hours of Sunday morning, but police are keen to trace their movements from last Friday evening.

A post mortem is being carried out to establish the exact cause of death but senior detective Jason Murphy said there was nothing at the scene to suggest they had died of "natural causes".

Ms Marimon-Herrera (37) is originally from Colombia but had moved to Spain with her family many years ago, where she naturalised and gave birth to her daughter Allison, whose father is Portuguese.

She had moved to Newry for work about four years ago and was joined by her daughter in 2017. The teenager attended Newry High School where she was in year 11.

Principal Iestyn Brown said the entire school community "is deeply shocked and saddened".

"Allison was a talented, kind, courteous and well-mannered pupil with a beautiful smile. Both staff and pupils are profoundly saddened by her death and she will be remembered with great affection by her fellow pupils and staff alike.

"Our hearts go out to Allison's family circle; they are foremost in our thoughts and prayers at this sad time.”

Detective Superintendent Murphy said they were working to find out what exactly happened at the flat in Newry and described it as an "unspeakable tragedy".

"I believe that Giselle and Allison were still alive in the early hours of Sunday morning but family members have not been able to contact them since," he said.

"The exact circumstances of what happened in their home remains the subject of our investigation.

"I would appeal today to anyone who came into direct contact with either Giselle or Allison, or communicated with them via text or social media since Friday, to contact detectives in Newry.

"We are currently supporting the families of those involved as well as Newry High School. I would ask that they are given the time and space to come to terms with these tragic events."

Mr Murphy said definitive causes of death have not been established, adding that post mortem examinations were under way.

"While our investigation remains at an early stage, there is no evidence at this time that anyone else was involved," he said.

"This is an unspeakable tragedy and anyone with information should contact detectives on 101."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: