Northern Ireland news

Soldier who shot Aidan McAnespie due in court

Aidan McAnespie was shot dead by the British army in February 1988
Connla Young

The former British soldier accused of shooting Aidan McAnespie is expected to appear in court next week.

Former Grenadier Guardsman David Jonathan Holden was told last year that he is to be prosecuted for the offence of gross negligence manslaughter.

It is expected he will appear at court in Dungannon on February 6.

Mr McAnespie was shot dead close to a checkpoint on the border at Aughnacloy in Co Tyrone in February 1988 as he made his way to Aghaloo GAC's grounds.

The British army claimed that three shots were fired from inside a sanger after a general purpose machine gun (GPMG) Holden was moving slipped from his hands, which were said to be wet at the time.

Claims that he was struck by a ricochet bullet are not accepted by the McAnespie family.

Holden was aged 18 at the time.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: