Northern Ireland news

Loyalist killer Stone 'not a danger to anyone' due to ill health

Loyalist killer Michael Stone has said he is "not a danger to anyone" due to his ill health. Picture by Mal McCann

NOTORIOUS loyalist killer Michael Stone has said he is "not a danger to anyone" due to his ill health.

The Milltown Cemetery bomber believes he is no longer a threat to the public and any further jail time "would only be detrimental".

The former UDA member also claimed he faces weekly death threats and is housed in the loyalist wing of Magherabery Prison "purely for my own personal safety".

In a statement to The Sunday Life from jail, the 63-year-old said he is a "model prisoner" and "not a danger to anyone".

"I am not the lively 30-year-old that we see on TV running through Milltown," he said.

"I am a 63-year-old man with heart, blood pressure and mobility issues related to my muscular dystrophy.

"In fact when coming out for paroles or even to attend a weekly visit, I was transported in a minibus with a wheelchair hoist.

"I can no longer manage steps and risk an irreparable injury if I were to fall. Further prison would only be detrimental. I am not a danger to anyone."

Last week the loyalist killer secured a legal route to the UK’s highest court in his bid to overturn a verdict that he must remain in jail until 2024.

Stone is seeking appeal the verdict that the six years he spent on licence should not count towards his minimum term of imprisonment.

Earlier this month the High Court in Belfast ruled that the Department of Justice wrongly determined he is now eligible for possible release on parole.

Stone was freed under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement in 2000, but was returned to jail six-years later for attempting to murder Sinn Féin leaders Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness at Stormont.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: