Man (33) charged with hijacking a bus with offensive weapon
A 33-year-old man is due to appear in court today charged with hijacking a bus with an offensive weapon in Co Down.
He has been charged with a number of offences including hijacking, aggravated vehicle taking, possession of an offensive weapon with intent and driving whilst unfit.
He is expected to appear at Downpatrick Magistrates court.
The charges are believed to be connected to the hijacking of a Translink bus in the Ballybeen area on Saturday night.
A Translink spokeswoman said one of its 4A Metro buses had been involved in the incident and a number of passengers were forced to leave the vehicle.
"After the incident, services were suspended in the Ballybeen area whilst the incident was investigated, however normal services were resumed later in the evening," she said.
She added that they were "assisting the PSNI with their investigations into the incident".