Northern Ireland news

Thatched roofs set alight in Co Down firework incident

NIFRS and police responded to this incident

POLICE have warned parents and children of the dangers of fireworks after two thatched cottages were set alight.

The incident happened in the Greencastle Street area of Kilkeel just after 8pm on Tuesday.

A small fire started on each of the properties. Both were extinguished quickly by firefighters and there was minor damage caused to the thatch.

The two householders, a woman in her sixties and a man in his forties, were uninjured.

A firework, recovered from the scene, was taken away for further forensic examination.

"In the run up to Halloween, I would urge parents and children to be aware that fireworks can be dangerous when used carelessly," a police spokesman said.

"Fireworks are explosives and there is no telling what damage they can cause to either people or property when not handled correctly.

"If misused, they can cause serious and life-changing injuries. It is also illegal to possess, sell, handle or use fireworks if you do not have a licence.

"Thankfully, no-one was hurt during this incident in Kilkeel, but nevertheless, the risks are real. If you want to see fireworks, please attend an organised event and leave it to the professionals."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: