Resolution found to Enniskillen memorial dispute
A RESOLUTION has been reached in a dispute over where to place a memorial to victims of the Remembrance Sunday bombing in Enniskillen, it was announced yesterday.
Twelve people were killed and 68 others injured in the 1987 IRA bombing of Enniskillen. A memorial had been unveiled last year to mark the 30th anniversary of the attack.
However, it was taken down and placed in storage after a Catholic Church trust which owns the land it was on said it had not been consulted and had not approved of the location of the stone structure.
St Michael's Diocesan Trust said the proposed memorial was not suitable and talks have been ongoing since to try and resolve the dispute.
The parish had said trust had no objection to a permanent memorial, but cited concerns over its size and location outside the Clinton Centre.
The groups involved met on Tuesday to discuss the memorial and it was agreed to place it within the Clinton Centre's gable wall.
In a statement yesterday following the meeting, the Very Rev Kenneth Hall – who chaired the talks – welcomed how progress had been made and thanked all those involved.
"Good progress has been made and a solution has been reached by all parties involved to site the memorial within the gable wall of the Clinton Centre subject to necessary approvals," he said in a statement.
"However we envisage that this work will take time but all parties are committed to work together to complete this matter within a reasonable timescale."