Northern Ireland news

Woman dies after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Cookstown

A man and woman were taken to hospital after being treated at the scene
Digital Staff

A woman has died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a house in Co Tyrone.

Firefighters were called to the property on Drum Road in Cookstown shortly before 7am this morning by the ambulance service.

"Significant" levels of carbon monoxide were found inside the house according to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS).

Readings were also taken at two neighbouring properties which were then evacuated, a NIFRS spokesman added.

Ambulance personnel treated a man and a woman at the scene before they were transferred to Craigavon Area Hospital.

A statement from NIFRS said: “The thoughts and sympathy of NIFRS are with the family of the lady who died following a carbon monoxide incident at a house in the Drum Road, Cookstown this morning." 

UUP councillor Trevor Wilson extended his sympathies to the family of the woman who has died.

For carbon monoxide safety advice visit hseni.gov.uk/watchout or call 0800 0320 121

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: