Movement on Enniskillen memorial after meeting
Negotiations to resolve a dispute over a memorial to the victims of the Remembrance Sunday bombing of Enniskillen, removed from land owned by the Catholic Church, are underway.
Twelve people were killed and 68 others were injured in the 1987 IRA bombing of Enniskillen.
A memorial had been unveiled last year at an event marking 30-years since the attack.
However, it was taken down and placed in storage after the diocese which owns the land it was on said it had not been consulted.
Following a meeting held on Tuesday with input from two churches and victims' families chaired by the Dean of Enniskillen cathedral, The Very Rev Kenneth Hall, it was announced that a resolution was now possible.
The Dean said: "Progress has been made after a very productive meeting and we are working together on a resolution to the matter. No further comment at present".
St Michael's Diocesan Trust which owns the land said earlier this year that the proposed memorial was not suitable.
Stephen Gault, whose father was killed in the atrocity, said at the time he was "deeply hurt but not surprised" by the decision, adding: "The families are hurting immensely over this."
Margaret Veitch, whose parents were murdered in the bomb had previously called for a face-to-face meeting to reach a compromise.
Both Mrs Veitch and Mr Gault said at the time they had received no support from politicians or churches in the area.
Monsignor Peter O'Reilly, responded by saying the move was not about rejecting a memorial, but that there were issues with this specific memorial and its proposed location.
In a statement the church said the size of the memorial, “taken together with the high volume of footfall on the public footpath in front of the Clinton Centre, and the connected issues of access to the school at the side and rear of the building, would make the proposed location unsuitable from the point of view of the health and safety of the public."