Beacon from lighthouse Titanic Quarter's newest tourism draw
TWO new maritime heritage attractions have opened in the Titanic Quarter to launch European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018.
The Titanic Walkway and the Great Light are the latest tourism draws to the area.
The Great Light was a lighthouse that guided ships to safety from the late 1800s until 2014.
It had topped the lighthouse at Tory Island in 1887 before being reconfigured and moved to Mew Island in 1928. It has been relocated to near the Titanic slipway.
The Great Light project launched by Titanic Foundation - the charity set up to preserve Belfast's maritime and industrial heritage - in partnership with the Commissioners of Irish Lights, will see it help bring to life the story of lighthouses, their technological developments, their light-keepers and their role around the coasts.
From today, visitors will also be able to walk the 500 metre Titanic Walkway on Victoria Wharf, which connects the Titanic Slipways to HMS Caroline and the Thompson Dock, learning about the maritime and industrial heritage of the area.