Northern Ireland news

Belfast Zoo evacuated after accidental chlorine release

Belfast Zoo .jpg

Visitors to Belfast Zoo were evacuated following an accidental chlorine release yesterday.

The Fire Service was called to the scene following the incident at the zoo's filter house after 3pm.

A council spokesman last night said a chemical treatment company was on site at the time.

A popular attraction, the north Belfast based zoo attracts thousands of visitors each year.

A spokesman for the Fire Service no-one was injured during the incident which was attended by crews from its Glengormley, Westland and Whitla stations.

“On arrival Fire and Rescue Service consulted with representatives from Belfast Zoo, Belfast City Council and our own hasmat (hazardous material) specialists,” he said.

“We then evacuated the zoo and committed crews to the affected area wearing breathing apparatus and gas tight suits to ventilate and take readings with gas monitors to ensure the area had been made safe.”

The spokesman added that “the scene was then handed to the manager from Belfast Zoo.”

A spokesman from Belfast City Council said: “We can confirm that the Fire Service was called to Belfast Zoo on Friday afternoon following an incident at the zoo's filter house while a chemical treatment company was on site.

“All visitors were escorted safely from the site and the zoo closed early as a precaution.”

The zoo is expected to open as normal today.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: