Man (32) injured in latest west Belfast paramilitary shooting
A THIRD paramilitary-style shooting in as many months in west Belfast has been condemned.
A 32-year-old man was shot in the leg at a house in Cluain Mor Drive in the Beechmount area shortly before 6pm on Saturday.
His injuries are not thought be life-threatening.
Last month a man in his thirties was also shot in the leg at an address on the lower Springfield Road, while in October a 56-year-old was shot six times in the legs in Poleglass.
Days later 43-year-old Joe Reilly was murdered at his home at Glenwood Court in Poleglass.
Sinn Féin MP Paul Maskey condemned the latest shooting.
"Nobody in this community wants to see this activity ongoing - people want to see it stop and stop immediately. The people who are carrying out these actions are acting for nobody but themselves," he said.
SDLP councillor Brian Heading also said he "wholeheartedly condemned" the attack.
Meanwhile, police investigating dissident republican activity in north Belfast closed part of the Westlink as they attended a suspicious vehicle in the Plunkett Court area on Saturday.
Several houses were evacuated from approximately 9pm, with the North Queen Street Community Centre made available for residents that needed shelter.
Roads were closed to traffic and part of the Westlink was shut between 9.40pm and 10.15pm.
ATO officers also attended the scene and just after 2am the car was taken away for further examination and the area returned to normal.
PSNI Chief Superintendent Chris Noble said: “I would like to thank motorists and the local community for their support while we dealt with this situation.
"I understand the disruption that this caused to a lot of people and we appreciate the patience and understanding shown by residents as we focussed on ensuring their safety."