Former Rangers player Nacho Novo warned over death threat
FORMER Rangers striker Nacho Novo has been warned by police of a threat to his life from republicans.
The Spaniard, who signed for east Belfast club Glentoran at the start of the season, was warned to review his personal security.
The 37-year-old joined the Oval side at the beginning of August, signing a 12-month contract.
Despite the threat he played on Saturday against Ards where his side lost 2-0, but is thought to have missed some training sessions last week as a result of the scare.
Glentoran chairman Stephen Henderson praised the striker for continuing to play for the team.
"This is obviously a very serious situation and we gave the player as much help and support as we could," he said.
"Over the course of time, however, he has shown a very deep sense of character in terms of not letting it put him off playing football."
The club said while the PSNI had originally warned them that the threat level was high, they have since downgraded it to low, allowing the Spanish star to return to training sessions.
However, Glentoran added that it remained a "very serious issue".
Mr Henderson told the Sunday World: "We at Glentoran Football Club are not interested in politics or religion, indeed we have been a cross-community club since the very beginning of our existence."
Novo started his career at home in Spain before moving to Scotland in 2001 and joining Rangers in 2004.
He left Ibrox in 2010, but remains popular with fans and was inducted into the Scottish club's hall of fame.