Titanic Belfast welcomes its three millionth visitor
TITANIC Belfast has welcomed its three millionth visitor.
The milestone was reached today when Kathy Jefferson from Telford in England attended the flagship visitor centre.
She and her son Jake helped in the celebrations by cutting a huge cake specially made for the occasion.
They were joined by lord mayor Brian Kingston and Titanic Belfast chief executive Tim Husbands.
Lucky visitors to the building today are making short work of our 3 millionth cake served up by Chef Alastair! pic.twitter.com/KTNxQSGXNb— Titanic Belfast (@TitanicBelfast) August 15, 2016
Titanic Belfast first opened at the end of March 2012.
The six-storey £100m visitor centre is close to the slipway where the Titanic was launched more than a century ago.
Its opening coincided with the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking, in which 1,502 people lost their lives.
Mr Husbands said they have been "delighted" with the visitor numbers so far.
"Last week we had our busiest day ever since we opened, even busier than the first mad week that we had here in April 2012," he said.
"We've had over 4,200 people through that day and I'd say we're going to have and beat 100,000 people this August."
Speaking to U105, Mr Husbands said more than £1m has been spent refining the Titanic Belfast experience over the years.
"We have spent over £1m refurbishing and refreshing three or four of the galleries because obviously Titanic is a story that can be told in so many different facets," he said.
"We have tried to work out which elements of the customer experience are working better than others and we've improved it and we've changed it."