Northern Ireland news

Chinese tourists left shaken after bus attack in west Belfast

The attack happened near Divis Tower in west Belfast

A GROUP of Chinese tourists have been left shaken after their tour bus was pelted with stones.

The tourists were travelling in Divis Street area at about 4.45pm on Wednesday when the attack happened near Divis Tower.

Police said a window on the bus was smashed when a brick thrown at the vehicle.

Mark Coulter was driving the bus and said those inside the bus were uninjured but had been scared and asked to return to their hotel.

"I feel terrible for them and it's disgraceful for the country for it to happen," he said.

A driver with McComb's Coach Travel, he had collected the group from Belfast International Airport earlier in the day.

He was taking them on a tour of Belfast including the Falls and Shankill, Stormont and the Titanic Quarter.

Mr Coulter said that following the incident he drove the coach into the car park at St Peter's Cathedral.

"Some youths approached me there and started shouting abuse at me. I don't know if it was them or not," he said.

, Mr Coulter said he regularly conducted this tour and had never experienced anything like it before.

"Get a life, grow up. We're trying to bring the country back to a normal situation – it's not on," he told BBC Northern Ireland.

Police said they were investigating a report of criminal damage on a minibus coach.

They urged anyone with information to contact officers at Woodbourne on 101 or anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Northern Ireland news

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: