Belfast bus service suspended after ‘premeditated' petrol bomb attack
METRO drivers are refusing to provide services to part of west Belfast after a petrol bomb was thrown at a bus in a "premeditated attack".
Trade union Unite said services to Lagmore View had been suspended after the bomb was thrown at around 10.20pm on Saturday.
In a message on its website, transport company Translink told customers Lagmore View would be omitted from its Metro route "until further notice" due to a "disturbance in the area on Saturday evening".
Michael Dornan from Unite said the attack had put the life of the driver and passengers at risk.
"They were lucky on this occasion but such a mindless act could have caused a major accident affecting other road vehicles or the wider community," he said.
“Sadly, attacks on buses are an all too common occurrence in Northern Ireland but this attack is particularly sinister.
“From our review of the CCTV capture of this incident this morning, it appears the attack was premeditated and we believe may have targeted the driver concerned. All relevant information has been passed on to the relevant authorities for investigation."
He said drivers were "not prepared" to return to Lagmore View at present.
"We apologise for the inconvenience that this will cause the community in that area but we have to prioritise safety at this time," he said.